Dream home …. when renovates house becomes a good game
This is the english translation of https://educereludendo.blogspot.it/2017/10/la-casa-dei-sogni.html
My personal game pusher talk about “Dream home” more than 6 month ago and I put this title in my mind. Some weeks ago my wife ask: “Could you suggest us a good title for our daughter classmate? A group of mums wants to gift a boardgame but they doesn’t known no one right for a girl!”.
As usual I asked the most important information to make an gift: what is the age of the girl ( yes, you have reason, this question is reduntant, she must has the same age of my daughter’s), if the girl is usually play others board games, if she would play with parents or with other children, and especially what were her personal preferences.
I suggest 4 titles: the inevitable “Leo goes to the barber”, “Bugs in the Kitchen”, Go Go Gelato!, and Dream Home. The mums choose Dream Home and now I’m here to write an inevitable review of this game that was in nomination to Il gioco dell’anno 2017.
In “dream home”, up to four players has to renovating each house to make it the most beautiful of the neighborhood! The game is extremely simple. During their turn the players will have to choose a pair of cards and place it in your own home. The cards are placed on a board dispenser on the table , the renovated room cards must be placed in the home trying to get more points than the other players. The other card may instead contain a piece of furniture, a piece of the roof, a tool, a specialist … these elements will help to increase the value of your home … Do you wand a jacuzzi in your bathroom? And tree house in the garden?
The room-cards must be positioned in the home by respecting some simple rules:
- Each room-card must be placed on a solid floor, or you can not build an element within the house but from the bottom up and then build on it.
- If you place nearby room-cards of the same type, you’ll increase the size of the room and consequently the victory points at the end of the match.
- If you have a bathroom on each floor you will get a bonus score.
- If your home has at least one bathroom, a kitchen and a bedroom you will receive a bonus!
When all of the cards were used, the game ends and the players count their points.
Now… are you ready to build the house of your dreams?!?!
When I started to play the game I thought to be in the hands of a title that winked mainly to little girls. Instead I found that also young boys like to play to Dream Home ! So, the game is suitable for all children who can read autonomously. The game mechanics are very simple and suitable for age also lower than those given on the box (7+).
I tried to play both with children of 6–7 years with both boys 9–10 and I must say that the game we all loved equally.
If you are choosing a game for a boy / girl between 7 and 10 years … well you can think seriously to “Dream Home”!
The game introduces several educational aspects to enhance specific skills. First of all, the game teaches you to handle spaces . The players are having to choose where is the best position to put some room-cards and must think and choose to leave a space on a plane in order to enlarge a room or fill it with a completely different room.
The bonus rules teach how an house should be made: there must be a bathroom, a kitchen and a bedroom to make the house habitable; and it is much better to place bathrooms on different plans (not n the same) so as to offer to all the people of the house maximum comfort!
Secondly the game winks to keep the memory fresh . When you draw a roof you must put it covered. If you can get all the pieces of the roof of the same color … then you will have a bonus! But beware parents … I do not know why, but some kid always wants to spy on pieces of the roof. This should be an opportunity to create complicity with your kids or teach tothe child that by respecting the rules we could have more fun!
Finally, it is a game that teaches how to handle schedule change . The player has always to choose which card to take from the those available… and always will be the right card at the right time. In particular you could be have problems in the basement/box! The player will then change its strategy and adapt it round by round!
Tips for parents .
I never imagined to find myself in front of a game with this potential . The game is fully of educational ideas and the same time very interesting to play for both adults and for children. The only flaw I found is that you can play “only” up to 4 players … with a couple of more players could have become a must for all large family celebrations (Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year, Easter , Easter Monday) … but I’m sure you’ll find a way to play those occasions also teaming up with some other family / friend!
How to explain the game
Explain the game is quite simple. But explain while playing it is even more! My advice is to read the manual once before presenting it to your kids, and maybe try to play alone at least 1 game. When you open the game for the first time with your children their impatience may start to play before they understand how to do it!
These is my explaining suggestion:
- Take the cards and distribute them on the dispenser in two rows, as written in the manual.
- Now you’ll have to explain the basic rule of the game: as you put a card in their own home.
- You have to explain that the cards should always be supported where there is the floor, that the cards can not be suspended in the middle of the house.
- You also explain that only the cards with black border may be in the basement.
- Now you must explain that some cards (such as the living room or kitchen) make more points if they are side by side, while others (eg the bathroom) can not stand next to another card of the same type.
- Finally you have to explain that when you put a piece of furniture (the paintings, jacuzzi, etc) in a room … you close it and therefore can not expand more (ie you can not enlarge with another of the same type) card.
Well if you have arrived at this point you have almost finished explaining the game! It is missing one last important step:
- If you can not place a card following the rules just explained … you can place the empty side (always respecting the rule of the floor!)
- Finally, the roof covered cards are filmed and that the aide / tool cards can change the game rules.
And in 5–10 minutes you can start playing to “Dream House”
Author Klemens Kalicki
Publisher / Distributor Rebel - Asmodee / Asterion Italy
Number of players 2–4
duration 20–30 minutes