How to Virally Grow Your Network in 5 Steps
I will teach you how to be super connected.
Want to be popular online? Want to have a network that is so vast and incredible that you can get in touch with anyone in any industry?
You are going to need to work your ass off.
Before the internet, you had to go to physical places to meet people. Why was this horrible? Because the number of people you could meet was limited by the size of these physical locations.
Why is today the best day to network? Because we live in an internet connected world, where everyone, for all intents and purposes, is in the same digital room within “shouting distance” via social networks. I’m talking billions of people here. If you simply stand up and yell something interesting you have the ability to virally attract a network.
This. Is. Insane.
I’m going to tell you how to start taking advantage of this right now.
- Create content that attracts the people you want to network with. I love people who are motivated, entrepreneurial, design and build products, and are incredibly fun and smart. So what do I do to attract these people (you!)? I write blog posts about inspirational ideas, start ups, and product design that my audience likely would learn from and share. Figure out who you need to attract and start creating content that they will find valuable. You can make blog posts, videos, status updates, memes, anything that get’s your message across effectively to the audience you are looking for. (Need help figuring out how to create great content? Read this).
- Create accounts on big social networks: Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Pinterest, Ustream, YouTube, LinkedIn, and even Medium. Distribute your content through these social networks on a regular basis. The more consistently you share quality content, the more people will follow you. The more accounts you can keep up with, the more people will follow you.
- Talk to your audience! How do you do this? Tell them to talk to you! Ask them questions! Respond to them immediately after they interact with you in any way so they begin to trust that when they engage with you they will be noticed right away. Whenever someone tweets one of my posts I interact with them on Twitter. Don’t believe me? Try it yourself right now.
- Reach out directly to people you want to know! It’s not hard, it’s not crazy, it doesn’t take a lot of time. So, why aren’t you doing it all the time? I don’t know, you should probably start. (If you want more tips on this I wrote an entire blog post about it, read it here).
- Always be looking for ways you can add value to your audience. Someone needs to be introduced to someone else you know? Do it. One of your followers on Twitter wants you to glance at something they are working on? Do it. Everyday I look at projects my audience members are working on? Why? I care a lot about my audience. What does this do for me? My audience also cares about me and will help me out when I most need it.
“Great Matt, these all sound like really interesting tips, but what is actually going to happen if I follow this advice?”
If you follow my advice you will be doing a better job networking than 99% of people in the world.
Seriously, most people in the world don’t try as hard as they could. If you simply follow these rules you will be pushing yourself above the crowd. This is what will start to happen to you:
- You will get more followers on whatever social network you are using.
- People will know who you are and what you are knowledgable of. You think this helps with getting a job, raising money, or pretty much anything else you are trying to do? You bet it does.
- The number of opportunities you have will increase.
Start creating. Start sharing. Start growing your network virally. Should you wait until tomorrow? No! Do something right this moment that will help you grow your network. The world is about to get a lot more interesting for you.
Want to network with me? Hit me up on Twitter @MattPRD
P.S. If you found value in this article, it would mean a lot to me if you hit the recommend button. (This will help this post get distributed and shown to more people).
Want to get an email when I publish my next post? Click here to sign up for my email newsletter.