From Wonderings to Words — Week 2
This is the second week of my embarkment on writing a new novel. Here’s how it went:
- Well, this day wasn’t too productive. As you’ll find with me, going out partying the night beforehand is great until you wake up late, procrastinate and don’t start writing until 6pm.
- I don’t know how quality the writing is, but we’ll see at the end when I revise the book.
- Drank lots of tea today. Carn the tea.
- It’s raining and pretty miserable here in Sydney-town. This would be great if I was currently writing a tragic scene, but unfortunatley I’m not.
- It’s Australia Day!
- All the above meant for writing was that I had to get up early — due to later party commitments.
- Hit my stride about half an hour in — it’s interesting to see what days I get almost straight into it and others that take longer. Hopefully I’ll eventually be able to figure out the reasons behind it and eliminate lots of the wasted writing time.
- Current word count at 7994. Why stop here? I’m a master of my own destiny, thank you very much.
- 9214 words!
- Building up to a climactic end-of-chapter — I want to keep writing but I don’t want to burn out.
- I didn’t wake up early today — worked late last night (Happy Australia Day, mate!)
- I feel as though I need to read over the chapter, that I might need to beef it up at a later date, but I’m trying to refrain from doing that as it’s just another form of procrastination at this stage.
- Slow day, didn’t get to writing before work, and was pretty tired after work. The juices just weren’t flowing.
- Did another 400 words.
- WHAT A CRACKER OF A DAY! Smashed out around 1,600 words to finish the chapter and round it off at a little over 11,000 words total.
- It’s a big turnaround from yesterday, but I managed to get myself up early again — maybe that’s the reason?
- I think also seeing the end of the chapter in sight spurned me onto greater heights.
- How about it, it’s finally sunny again.
- Up to 12,330 words.
- Awaiting someone to get back to me about questions I have about a particular migrant centre in Australia. Part of the novel will be based there, so I need some information because there’s shit all online.
- Another week rolls by — with another 400 words today.
- I didn’t write much due to work last night finishing in the AM and work this morning also starting in the AM. I might be able to get some more done tonight though.
- I’m at the stage in the second chapter where there is so much I could write about the situation the characters find themselves in, yet I need to be careful not to bloat it with events — some that have no bearing on the overall themes and storyline (although it is quite tempting).
- Another week begins tomorrow! Plans for over 20K by the end of it.