My design and process
My team and I designed a usability test for an oven. Our task was to moderate 3 different users through three tasks that most users of ovens would utilize. Our users we chose were college age females with varying degrees of oven experience.
The tasks we chose for our users to complete were: preheat the oven to 405° F then turn it off, set the kitchen timer to 27 minutes then turn it off, and to move the top most oven rack one spot higher then move it back. The data we collected was time on task, difficulty level from 1 to 7, and number of unnecessary moves performed on the task. We decided to test the design of basic oven functions because we wanted to see how easy the tasks actually were. We also wanted the test to be inclusive of all of our users abilities.
We chose these data types because we wanted to see if the design was intuitive enough to be done quickly and efficiently. We also asked our users to rate their experience to see if they felt the task was easy. Then our team compiled our data into a powerpoint and made a voice over to explain our findings.
During the test we encountered some issues with the testing itself. Our users quickly figured out that they were being timed to complete each task. This caused some unwanted stress on our users. If we disguised the fact that our users were being timed, we could have gotten some more accurate data.
Another issue we encountered was not having a protocol for when a user thought they completed the task, but in fact did not. In our situation we counted the task as complete, but I feel like this should have been treated as a special circumstance.
What I enjoyed
I really enjoyed working with a group for this project. I feel more productive when working with others. Having other people to bounce ideas off of is really beneficial for productivity. It also felt very professional running a test like this on actual users. I liked that we didn’t just talk about doing usability tests, but instead went out into the field to do it.