Encourage individual ownership of skills development and lifelong learning
Citizens centrism is one of the main goals of Camden Council for 2025. Citizen centric approach would allow Camden to be more efficient in its relationships with citizens and enables the citizens to access to the services they need in a more efficient and cost effective way. It also enables personalised solutions which can be achieved efficiently through collection of digital data from the citizens and every other stakeholder of government services.
Advancement of technology and digitalisation of government services with AI will shape the relationships between government services, citizens, businesses and institutions. Data privacy and trust would play a key role for this citizen centric approach to be successful.
Speculations based on JRC Scenorio 3 HyperEgovernment
The workshop which is held at CSM on 27th of April helped us to express our idea to our audience and understand the needs of the various stakeholders in this service implementation scenario. During the workshop we gathered some feedback from different stakeholders of Camden Council and Public Collaboration Lab(PLC) about the transparency and accuracy of proposed services. Feedback is answered throughout following revised service concept explanation and it’s challenges.
In response to one of the call to action for Camden Council is “In 2025, growth in Camden should be strong and inclusive — everyone should be able to access the WORK that is right for them. “ we asked ourselves What if Camden Council reinforce jobs and skills in Camden, offering opportunities to citizens for improving their skills and enables them to get a subsequent well-being?
The challenge is to develop new services that drive growth and employment, by utilising the AI technologies and enabling collaboration between the stakeholders.
Future model of Service Delivery
A framework that shows how citizens, local governments, businesses and institutions tackle challenges around automation, lost of low-skill jobs, transition for training of future proof job opportunities for citizens and the other stakeholders.
Future roles of Stakeholders
AI driven Government will enable stakeholders connect and collaborate with each other.
- Local government becomes a facilitator between stakeholders with a digital platform. This platform connects the users and job opportunities with ‘matching skills-businesses algorithm’ and training programmes.
- Citizens, companies and institutional partners become part of the decision-making process and council reinforce the policy making for jobs and skills.
- Finding new investments for the area with skill forecasting data they generate with AI driven platform.
Citizens will be supported to improve their skills or gain multiple skills to be able to work in promptly changing job market.
- Citizens will be the part of the decision making process.
- Citizens will have clear guidance on what jobs are on demand and future proof and how they can improve their skills to have them.
- Platform will assist the citizen on their needs and lifestyle choices to bring more effective way of training and learning.
- Gaining multi skills will enable the employees to work much more flexible according to their individual needs and interests.
Businesses collaborates with council, creates training and job opportunities for the area. Collaboration of institutions and global companies in Camden (e.g. Google, Youtube) will create benefits for both stakeholders about more accurate jobs and skills casting and advance training.
- Businesses adopt more transparent process which is in line with local governments, institutes, NGOs and citizens’ values.
- Businesses would play a crucial role for investments in the area and in training opportunities for citizens.
Institutions will collaborate with the council and businesses for training, job and education opportunities, assessment process and improving the skills of the citizens. This would also make institutions work collaboratively with the councils and asses potential skills of the youth and the trends.
- Institutions would take more responsibility to create the right connection between education/ training and the job market. They will collaborate with businesses for forecasting the skills and job opportunities and creating training programmes accordingly.
- Institution would be a main role of policymaking assistant by utilising the report from training as well as being the voice of youth.
1- Why would people need the skills for in the future? With Universal Basic Income they would work less.
- In this scenario Universal Basic Income could be thought as a system that brings opportunities for volunteering, caring and skills sets improvement for the fulfilment of people.
- How do you make sure that everybody rich to their full potential?
Assessment system that will provide advance personal analysis. However, the system will set a kind of motivation to encourage them to meet their full potential of skill-needed. This will bring outcomes such as flexible job opportunities, pay equality and strength based job.
2- What are the values that companies bring to the other stakeholders?Business investments will use citizen-centric criterion which creates opportunities for jobs and skill training in the area and leads to positive impact for local government services and institutions’ cost and efficiency.
3- There is a huge amount of lack of transparency in the job market. How do you address where the job and skills gap are?
Utilising advanced technologies to empower the service; The DLT would be the key to make all of the arrangement to be more transparent therefore building trust between all stakeholders and enable them to coordinate efficiently.
DLT system would help to build trust among all stakeholders due to the transparency of data sharing. AI also would take the role of analysing the skills needed from the data that is shared by all stakeholders. Every stakeholder could use the analysed data to improve their values for others and themselves.
Relationships between the stakeholders
-Business+Citizen= Training, Apprenticeship. (Investment)
-Business+Institutions= Skill Forecasting, Collaboration, Job Opportunities (Sustainable Economy)
Citizen+Institutions=Consultation, Assessment,Training (Reduce skill-job gap)
4-What are the main differences of your service compare to current services except AI?
The seamless and holistic system of services which will be contributed by all stakeholders, every stakeholders will have their own benefit and also share their value with the others. Stakeholders will take part in online decision making process.
How it works
In this service model we use our persona who is called, John to express the journey of the service from citizen’s perspective as a job seeker.
John is 28 years old computer programmer expects his government to enable proactive/predictive regulation around emerging issues e.g. healthcare technology, automation, data.
1. John finds out there is a new investment proposal in his area and he wants to see the job opportunities about it.
2. He logs into his citizen account through the platform to see the related information with his AI assistant.
3. He joins to a channel with other stakeholders to see the benefits of this investment.
4. His AI assistant shows him what he could benefit from it and what could be his next steps.
5. He finds out that he needs to take further training to improve his existing skills then he enrols to suggested courses.
6. After enrolling to the courses AI assistant and John asses his lifestyle and create a new lifestyle plans to make him achieve his new training goals.
7. Lifestyle plan get synchronised into the other parts of his life, services he uses. Exercise, diet, time schedule, smart home, health and transport services etc. For example, his travel card will start charging student discount during his training programme. He now focuses on his training.
8. During his training his AI assistant provides him different connection options according to the performance and interests. He starts networking in his field.
9. He takes an AI assessment to get a contract with the company.
From the service model and John’s journey we summarise the key benefits of citizens below;
- Citizens as participants will use their E-ID to access and interact with the services and receive the information to improve their skills and life-balance as well as being guided by an e-assistant.
- Citizen can be matched with job opportunities based on their Digital Profile and Matching Information with the businesses. This will involve personalised services, interactions and analysis.
- Citizen can get training channels according to their Career Goals and Matching Information. VR technologies would support remote learning/ encouragement and user engagement strategies.
- IOT and wearables technologies will help to measure the user’s data and create constantly updated database.
- Creating agile and sustainable framework which enables all stakeholders to contribute towards the changing challenges they face. Especially citizens benefit from personalised e-assistant that improves individual impact to economic growth more than ever.
- Understanding the scope of future jobs and future proof jobs.
- Being able to access wide and organised information that meets user’s needs.
- Stakeholders will share the related information with each other in more transparent way. This would create trust and efficiency among stakeholders.
In response to the feedback we have started iterating our concept and planning the next steps to address what issues we are tackling with each stakeholders and how to set the priorities.
In the next two weeks, we will develop our digital platform with the feedback both from stakeholders and tutors. Here are our next steps:
1- Create user journey based on stakeholders values.
2-Identify touch points, pain points.
3-Cluster the values among stakeholders based on their journey.
4-Scenario from the perspective of each stakeholder.
5-Use prototype to present how this journey would be with touchpoints.
6-Define how to measure the accuracy of the data among stakeholders as a risk factor.
7-Define a method to create trust through the conception process.