MOIST GLUTEN-FREE BANANA BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
You’re gonna love these!
I received an e-mail from my daughter’s teacher earlier this week letting me know that her class would be having a breakfast themed party on Friday. “Ugh!” was my first thought… but MOIST Gluten-free Banana Blueberry Muffins saved the day!
Our family eats gluten-free due to sensitivities, but breakfast foods that tend to be shared at “breakfast parties” include gluten-rich muffins, croissants, and pancakes to name a few…
A quick trip to the grocery store gluten-free section left me disheartened — there were no fresh choices, not to mention that the frozen muffins that appealed to my daughter were 270 calories with 16 grams of fat EACH — almost a full meal unto themselves!
There wasn’t much in the way of packaged mix options either… There was no avoiding it, I would need to come up with my own creation to send with her — it needed to be tasty (so that she didn’t feel like she was missing out and so that other kids might want to try some too thus giving her the experience of sharing food) while healthier than the grocery store choices.
Overall, I don’t do a ton of gluten-free baking. As health and fitness coaches, my husband Mike and I are usually on the straight and narrow with what we eat — baking is strictly reserved for Christmas and birthdays. Another problem I’ve noticed with gluten free baking is that it tends to be DRY.
Well, I pulled out a few of my recipe books and got to work. On the first try, I came up with the recipe below and am VERY happy with the results. These Gluten-free Banana Blueberry Muffins are MOIST and are sure to disappear quickly as not one came back from my daughter’s class party! Kid approved!
MOIST Gluten-free Banana Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 ripe (bordering over-ripe) bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (as an alternative, use organic cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour* (I used Namaste brand. *Please note that you can use regular all-purpose flour if gluten is not a concern for your family)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder (if you have Celiac’s Disease, OMIT and double up on the baking soda)
- 1/2 cup 2% plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper muffin liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the bananas, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla using an electric mixer. Set aside once well mixed. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and then begin slowly adding the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Once the mixtures are combined, stir in the yogurt. Finally, stir in the blueberries. Divide among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 15–17 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out clean. For mini-muffins, reduce baking time to 10–12 minutes.
Here’s the nutritional breakdown:
LIKE THIS RECIPE? Be sure to download our FREE recipe book, ‘WEEKDAY WOW: Mouthwatering Meals Ready in 30 Minutes or Less.’
Question: Looking for a healthy gluten-free recipe? Let me know and we’ll consider it for a future post!
<link rel=”canonical” href=”http://www.bodycoachcanada.com/moist-gluten-free-banana-blueberry-muffins/”>