I recommend checking out Ethnotek Backpacks as your day bag. I can vouch for them as I used one as my sole bag while traveling for 2 months earlier this year. They’re a little pricey at $220, but they’re the perfect size and have some sweet features that make them worth it.
- Back pocket for laptop (easy access, stored in separate section away from other clutter — surprisingly useful).
- Large side pockets (one for gear/chargers, etc, one mesh — for water bottle)
- Side access to bag contents (useful if you use this as your only bag, as I do)
- Messenger bag top (nice if you’re riding bicycles and motorcycles)
- Straps: side straps and top strap mean you can pack in a yoga mat,
- High water resistance (rainstorm tested!)