Which Department has the best resources to support G-Cloud?
The Government has many departments and agencies, and is GDS the best place for growth and support for the G-Cloud Programme?
Which Department can support G-Cloud the best?
The Government has many departments and agencies, and is GDS the best place for growth and support of G-Cloud?
G-Cloud is not a single product, a digital marketplace, or the development of a specific government shared service. G-Cloud is about;
- Cloud governance and authority
- Cloud policy
- Cloud controls
- Cloud standards — technical and commercial
- Marketplace (Digital Marketplace) of commodity services, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and enabling services
- Commercial vehicles for purchasing of commodity services
More details on this earlier post.
What Are The Options?
The UK Government has many departments and agencies, so where is the best place for G-Cloud?
Prime Minister’s Office, probably not, it needs to be free from any political shenanigans and manoeuvring.
G-Cloud needs the services of the Crown Commercial Service to run the regular procurement OJEU, but G-Cloud is more than just a procurement framework.
G-Cloud needs the services of the Government Digital Service to provide the Digital Marketplace, but G-Cloud is more than making digital services and information simpler, clearer and faster. G-Cloud is more than a Marketplace.
G-Cloud needs the services and support of the Efficiency and Reform Group, but G-Cloud is more than efficiencies, savings and reforms for UK taxpayers.
What Does G-Cloud Need?
It needs to be a Government department / agency that can;
- Work with the Crown Commercial Service on delivering the procurement framework (OJEU) and procurement policy across Government.
- Work with the Government Digital Service on the Digital Marketplace, and enabling easy access to commodity cloud services.
- Work with the Efficiency and Reform Group, on efficiencies, savings and reforms for UK taxpayers. Putting in the controls and standards for cloud across Government.
- Run a significant marketing campaign to spread the word about G-Cloud.
- Support training and skills capabilities across the whole of the Public Sector.
- Push the innovative procurement framework across the whole of the public sector.
- Support the suppliers and buyers across the public sector.
- Work with other Departments to improve cloud consumption.
So, Where Should G-Cloud Live?
G-Cloud needs to support businesses, innovation and skills within the UK. It seems to me the best place for the G-Cloud Programme is with the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
The Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy is supported by 43 agencies, including;
- Competition and Markets Authority — They work to promote competition for the benefit of consumers, both within and outside the UK. Their aim is to make markets work well for consumers, businesses and the economy.
- Companies House — Incorporates and dissolves limited companies, registers the information companies are legally required to supply, and makes that information available to the public
- Intellectual Property Office — Is the official government body responsible for intellectual property (IP) rights including patents, designs, trade marks and copyright.
- British Business Bank Programme — They work with over 80 partners, they use their funds to unlock finance for thousands of smaller UK businesses
- Innovate UK — Technology Strategy Board — Fund, support and connect innovative businesses to accelerate sustainable economic growth.
The G-Cloud Programme will also need to work with;
- Skills Funding Agency — Fund skills training for further education (FE) in England. They support over 1,000 colleges, private training organisations, and employers with more than £4 billion of funding each year.
- UK Trade & Investment — UKTI works with UK based businesses to ensure their success in international markets through exports. They encourage and support overseas companies to look at the UK as the best place to set up or expand their business.
Over to You
With all this support available to G-Cloud, we could be very G-Proud!