6 Link Building Strategies That Could Have a Negative Impact on Your Online Medical Business
Today more and more people are turning to the Internet to gain information about their medical problems, and treatments available. Doctors, hospitals and health systems that operate a healthcare website understand the vital role of medical SEO in connecting patients with healthcare providers. SEO techniques constantly build on each other, grow and change with every year. This is because Google and other search engines continuously change their algorithms and healthcare marketers must keep themselves updated with these. Backlinks have always been an important ranking signal for Google. A web page with a number of contextual backlinks from quality sites would rank higher on all major search engines. Good links enable search engine bots to discover your website and index it; backlinks are especially important for a new website. Backlinks also help get referral traffic. This highlights the importance of link building for SEO. However, in this effort, you need to use the right strategies and avoid the wrong ones. Let us consider certain link building strategies that can negatively affect your SEO and tips to fix it.
- Building links to home page links: Everyone wants to start with the home page and therefore strive to send all SEO power to it. This is not a good strategy, and your homepage should not be used for your top keywords and key phrases. Instead, develop sub-pages that are content-rich to target those phrases and then focus on building backlinks to those pages. This method helps to have links going to many pages on your site and not just the homepage. It is also a more natural way to build links to your website.
- Lack of no-follow links: A website linking to another, with a no-follow tag does not pass link juice. This type of link is not useful concerning the ranking of a page. The no-follow attribute was created so that website owners could let Google know that certain links were advertisements and they should not be counted in the SEO algorithm. Real businesses should ideally have no-follow links because real businesses do advertise. Google recognizes you as a real business when you are getting no-follow links. Over thirty percent of links pointing to high-ranking websites are no-follow links, which supports this observation.
- Poor blogger outreach practices: The best way to get links from high authority websites is by writing guest blog posts. Many blogs will accept your guest post but getting it approved is difficult. This is because of two reasons, the pitch email is a template that could apply to any blog in the world, or your writing is poor. When you pitch a blog, understand that it is not a one-time thing but more like building a relationship with a colleague. This requires reaching out to your new business colleague and talking to them about their site and their needs. Then pitch your guest post that would help address those needs. Also, make sure to write a great post.
- No high content pages: Well-written content helps you to build links naturally. To build a lot of links to a page, in-depth content is important. Posts with 5000 + words can bring hundreds of links compared to those with 500 words. So content richness is essential, and your focus must be on strategic health content marketing.
- No proper plan for link building: This is one of the most common mistakes website marketers make. Marketers believe that creating good content will persuade others to naturally link to you, or you just need to go build links to a page and it will rank. But this is a poor SEO strategy. Links should be given due importance and you need to have a plan in place and use links in the right manner. Plan which anchor texts you need to get and how many so that you can maintain a natural link profile. Using this SEO tactic, you will be able to get better SEO results with fewer links.
- Keyword-stuffed anchor text: When you are building links to your home page, majority of the anchor text should come from your brand or some form of your URL. Most SEO strategies want to build links that have their important phrases as the anchor. However, research done by SEOJet shows that only 3 percent of your links should have an exact match as an anchor text. This link-building strategy applies to your subpages also, and you should have some anchor texts that have no key phrase at all, some with URL as the anchor, and some with brand as the anchor.
The above mentioned SEO strategies could have considerable negative impact on your rankings, which make it important to fix such link building miscues. To avoid negative SEO strategies and optimize your link building strategies, it is best to partner with reliable healthcare digital marketing agency. An experienced provider can identify the best practices to improve your ROI, they know which link building practices are important, and what should be eliminated.