A lil Zoodle won’t hurt
So you want to camp, ey? You also want to eat like you’re in the comfort of your own kitchen minus the walls, and the fancy stove, and, well, the house.
This recipe is proof that an open flame is all you really need to impress both yourself and fellow hipcampers.
PESTO ZOODLE SKILLET
Gluten Free, Vegetarian
What you need:
-cast iron skillet with a lid
-oven mitt or dishtowel for dealing with the hot skillet
-medium sized cutting board
-spiralizer (we use this one)
-wooden stirring spoon
-2 plates for serving
-3 medium sized zucchinis
-¼ cup pesto homemade or store bought (pesto recipe below)
-2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
-¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes or 1 handful cherry tomatoes
-grated parmesan for topping
1) SPIRALIZE: Chop the bottom end of the zucchinis and twist them through your hand spiralizer discarding of the cores.
2) PREP THE TOMATOES: Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes or halve the cherry tomatoes.
3) PUT THE GOODS IN THE SKILLET: Place your cast iron skillet over the fire with the olive oil or ghee, if you’re using a cast iron with a lid, put over the fire to start heating it up. Once the skillet is warm add the zoodles, tomatoes and pesto. Stir together making sure everything is evenly coated with pesto.
4) CRACK THE EGGS: Crack eggs over the zoodle pesto combo. Try to get them closer to middle of the skillet so they don’t slide off the edge. Then cover with a lid or with tin foil and let sit for about 8 minutes checking once or twice to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.
5) Sprinkle with parmesan & EAT UP!
Pesto Recipe \ Makes about 1 Cup
-1 cup fresh basil leaves (this is about half of a large packet of basil)
-1 tablespoon pine nuts or 3 brazil nuts
-1 large clove of garlic
-¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
-¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
-1 squeeze of a lemon
-salt and pepper to taste ( start small, you can always add more if needed)
1) PREP BASIL: Wash basil and remove leaves
2)PREP GARLIC: Remove outer covering of garlic clove and roughly chop
3) GRATE PARMEASEAN: When you do this make sure to avoid any wax coating that may be on the cheese
4) THROW IT ALL TOGETHER: Add all of the ingredients to either a food processor or Nutribullet and blend until all of the big chunks are gone