10 Things You Didn’t Know About Me (Michael Shook)
There will be a quiz
I was honored. :-)
There’s actually a bunch of things you don’t know, but being as how I am so secretive (sort of) and humble (humility is number 1 in my Top Ten virtues list).
Extra points if you recognize that last sentence as a semi-non-sequitur. Tagging Daniel who has a great sense of humor.
The 10 Things I Am Guessing You Don’t Know About Me
- I speak 3 languages. English, which is my native language. German which was my first additional language. I actually passed for a German in Germany (once upon a time ago). Truth in advertising here; I passed as a German from Berlin, not from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, where I was standing then. And Spanish — I speak everyday Spanish, I couldn’t teach Physics in Spanish. But go to the store or restaurant, have a conversation; those I can do.
2. I was born on August 1. In the Wiccan calendar that is a cross-quarter holiday called Lughnasadh. That’s a feast day named after the Celtic god of light, Lugh. I have a tattoo on my right arm featuring the Celtic knot called the Shield of Lugh.
3. I served in the Navy, and was one of the few people whose jobs actually included being a bodyguard as a requirement of that rating (MOS).
4. I always put in “decline to state” or “other”, whenever I have to fill in an ethnic heritage sort of page online. Not to be a jerk, but because that’s who I am.
5. I prefer red wine when I drink alcohol. Not sweet like Moscato or mouth clenchingly dry like Chianti, but usually something in between like a Malbec or Cabernet Sauvignon.
6. I played the Cowardly Lion in my high school’s production of the Wizard of Oz. I won my community’s equivalent of the Best Performance Oscar that year. Doing that show is one of my best memories ever. Extra information not about me, my wife played the Wicked Witch. She won the Best Performance Oscar also.
7. My pet peeves in the internet world are (in random order)
- Autoplay audio and video
- Malware –which includes sneaky apps and ads trying to steal my phone bandwidth
- People who say they are experts in a list of 10 unrelated areas
- Cat videos ( just because I always wind up watching them)
- Websites where someone left letters out of the word it was supposed to be because the real dot com domain was not available. As a fictitious example, TWRKNG dot com, instead of twerking) (( not that I would know what twerking is no matter how its spelled.))
- Autosuggest — the bane of existence for hunt and peck typists.
8. I’ve sent out positive emails every day for 12 years from my site at ALifeOfLight.com. Writing those has helped me change the way I viewed the world and has made my life much better every day. Honestly, it was one of the best things I’ve ever done for self-improvement and personal growth.
9. I like well-designed UX/UI’s and I am totally convinced that many of the most frequent problems online could be alleviated if the interfaces were done cleanly.
10. I was a child bride and my oldest grandson graduated from high school just one year after my youngest nephew.
I am thinking that given the speed at which the internet runs that the 10 things you don’t know about me challenge has run its course, but I wanted to do this because 1. It’s cool and 2. My friend tagged me in a post about it.
I wrote and posted a related story titled: Michael Shook’s Where I’m From Story. You can click the link below to read it.