I know how to become an outstanding product designer. Hear me out. I have a simple 10-step process.
- Manage your time. Hours can either be billed to a client or spent experimenting and learning new skills. Make time for both and you’ll be alright.
- Build trust by keeping to your word. Don’t be like my tailor.
- When things get out of hand and you can’t deliver, don’t ignore phone calls and e-mails.
- Improve your communication skills. Write with clarity and speak with confidence.
- Master money. You have got to figure out your pricing strategy from day one.
- Be confident, even when you feel like shit 💩.
- Learn to be brutally pragmatic. Combine your aspirations with your constraints, when coming up with project estimates.
- Talk to people. It’ll surprise you, people have ideas, and they know a lot.
- Be like Shatta Wale. Share your work. Fight the urge to ignore this one. Just put something out.
- Work with people. Collaboration is the world’s best kept secret. The solo genius is a myth.
The discipline is the hard part, it’s what I struggle with. But once you figure it out, the actual design stuff (i.e. tools and processes) will be a breeze.
Thanks for reading. I am on twitter most days. Are you a product designer in Accra? I would love to meet you. Let’s talk @kobbyannor
Title inspired by Scott Adams