LET’S MAKE MISTAKES!
‘If you’re making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before and more importantly, you’re DOING SOMETHING. Go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes. Break rules. Leave the world more interesting for you being here.’
When I met my boyfriend Bob I was afraid to make mistakes. I was almost terrified of them. I thought they were to be avoided at all costs and did everything I could to not make one.
Have you ever noticed how many more mistakes you make when you are freaking about making one? How tiresome! Now I’m learning to change my entire mindset on mistakes.
BRING EM ON!! I say.
‘GET IN THE ARENA’
One of my favorite authors and TedTalk mentors is Researcher Brene Brown. She states emphatically that the only way you won’t make mistakes is if you’re not ‘in the arena’. You WILL be safe because you also are not risking anything. Brene also says, ‘There is no creativity without vulnerability.’
Oprah even said ‘Not only was vulnerability important to my success it was THE most important thing!’
I believe in risking my vulnerability and putting it all out there now! It’s courageous. (I am working on a vulnerability essay on this subject soon for an upcoming blog.)
I know I make a lot of mistakes and sometimes they are embarrassing doozies!
I published three books without really knowing what the heck I was doing. (HA!) I never said these first books were the best thing I’d ever done or ever will do…but guess what?
I GOT THEM DONE imperfections’ and all and threw them out there allowing myself to be vulnerable. YAY. THAT is what I’m most proud of because these days my true values are bravery and courage.
I am no longer stuck in my fear of mistakes. That is also known as Perfectionism. Perfectionism, in my opinion, will bring you down every time — — and stop you in your tracks!
The inspiring late actress Mary Tyler Moore said:
‘Take chances, make mistakes. That’s how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave.’
I feel damn proud that I didn’t put my books to the side (and not publish them).
I could’ve piled them up on top of my other 50 plus filled journals in my closet and they would never have seen the light of day.
I decided to do the courageous and vulnerable thing and bring them out into the world not worrying about perfection. I joke with my friends that I am a ‘recovering perfectionist’ and I know this is true.
I’ve learned, at age 55 that its all about making LOTS AND LOTS of mistakes and throwing a lot of stuff — -creative content — out there. It’s fun, it’s creative and it’s what I plan to do from now on.
Hey, there are so many valuable lessons in ‘mistakes’ (or missteps). I embrace them now and know they are just part of the process.
HERE ARE MY TOP TEN FAVORITE QUOTES
ON THE VALUE OF MISTAKES:
- ‘A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new’ — ALBERT EINSTEIN
- ‘Admit your errors before someone else exaggerates them’. — ANDREW V. MASON
- ‘The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one’. — ELBERT HUBBARD
- ‘Usually, you’re awesome because you fail a lot. It’s impossible to learn and grow without failure. I always feel the most successful people are the ones who have the greatest tolerance for failure.” — DON HUNTINGTON
- ‘ Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.- SCOTT ADAMS
- ‘Your best teacher is your last mistake.’ — RALPH NADER
- ‘ Big sloppy imperfect messes have value’.- ANNE LAMOTT
- ‘Mistakes are part of life. Luckily so are erasers’ — UNKNOWN
- ‘I never make the same mistake twice. I make it five or six times just to be sure’. — OSCAR WILDE
- ‘Mistakes are the usual bridge between inexperience and wisdom.’ PHYLLIS THEROUX
Thanks for reading! I’m gonna go write some more imperfect stuff now. SHHH. See you next time!
Please join my Daily Blog 365 BLOGS in 365 DAYS!
Check out my books on Amazon:
MICHELLE MONET AUTHOR PAGE https://www.amazon.com/Michelle-Monet/e/B01J5X26QS/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1