Syrian Opposition Twitter Accounts
Twitter is a key social media platform for opposition groups, along with Telegram, Facebook and Youtube. Most groups have a presence on the platform posting battlefield updates and news, in addition to many opposition leaders, fighters, civil organizations and activists. These accounts are often a valuable source of information regarding developments on the ground and behind the scenes.
The majority of official opposition group accounts post in Arabic. However, larger groups may have counterparts publishing in different languages. For example, Jaysh al-Islam operate accounts posting in over 10 different languages, including Japanese and Indonesian.
This list is, of course, a work in progress. Feel free to contact me if you think something is missing.
Islamist Opposition Groups
- Jaysh al-Islam (Arabic/English)
- Ahrar al-Sham (Arabic/English)
- Ahrar al-Sham (Damascus/East Ghouta)
- Iman Army (Ahrar al-Sham)
- Faylaq al-Sham
- Sham Front
- Jaysh al-Fustat (inactive)
- Alwiya al-Furqan
- Abnaa al-Sham
- Ajnad al-Sham
- Malhama Tactical (Russian)
Free Syrian Army
- Faylaq al-Rahman (Arabic/English)
- Free Idlib Army
- Jaysh al-Nokhba
- Jaysh al-Nasr
- Jaysh al-Izzah
- Shabaab al-Sunnah
- Liwa al-Majd (see my previous article on their formation)
- Al-Safwah Brigade
- Army of Eastern Lions (Arabic/English)
- Forces of Martyr Ahmad al-Abdo
- First Regiment
- Saif al-Sham Brigades
- Central Division
- Division 13
- 1st Coastal Division
- 2nd Coastal Division
- Liwa Shuhda al-Islam
- Jaysh al-Thawra
- Mu’tasim Brigade
- 101st Infantry
- Authenticity and Development Front
- Mountain Hawks Brigade
- Al-Ghab Falcons
- Abu Amara Battalions
- Sons of the East
- Yarmouk Army
- Brigade 51
- Jaysh al-Ahfad
- Al-Hamza Divison
- Al-Hamza Division 1st Brigade
- Mustafa Regiment
- Fursan al-Thawra
- Muntasir Billah Brigade (Turkish)
- Liwa al-Fateh
- Samarkand Brigade
- Ahrar al-Sham (N. Aleppo, Manbij Brigade)
- Ahrar al-Sharqiyah
- Sultan Suleiman Shah Brigade
- Vanguard Army
- 23rd Division
- Northern Hawks
- Sultan Murad Division
- Fatih Sultan Mehmet Brigade (Turkish)
- Syrian Jazira Revolutionaries
Free Syrian Army groups in the SDF
- Al-Bunyan al-Marsous
- Homs Operations Room
- Jaysh al-Fateh
- Southern Front
- Fatah Halab (defunct)
- Hawar Kilis Operations Room
Local councils, humanitarian organizations and civil bodies and media
- Syria Civil Defense
- Syria Civil Defense (Rif Dimashq)
- Syria Civil Defense (Aleppo)
- Syria Civil Defense (Idlib)
- Stabilization Committee
- Coordination for Al-Bab City
- Darayya Council (defunct)
- Douma Local Council
- Douma Medical Office
Activists/Activist Groups and Journalists
- Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently report on ISIS, government and coalition crimes near Raqqa.
- The Local Coordination Committees of Syria report on government airstrikes and detainees.
- Hadi al-Abdullah is a famous media activist and journalist.
- Lina Shamy is an activist who reported from besieged Aleppo.
- Bilal Abdul Kareem is an American from New York who works for On the Ground News.
- Majd Khalaf, Khaled Khatib and Ismail Abdullah are workers and activists at Syria Civil Defense.
- Zouhir al-Shimale, Rami Zien and Malek Tarboush are journalists who were based in Aleppo.
- Dr. Shajul Islam is a doctor in Syria from the UK.
- Bana Alabed is a 7 year old girl who tweeted from besieged Aleppo.
- Mousa al-Omar is a Syrian journalist from Idlib currently residing in London.
Opposition News Networks/Media Centres
- Orient News (Arabic/English)
- On the Ground News
- Enab Baladi (Arabic/English)
- Qasioun News Agency (Arabic/English)
- Thiqa News Agency (Arabic/English)
- Step News Agency (Arabic/English)
- Baladin Network (Arabic/English)
- Shaam News Network (Arabic/English)
- Aleppo Media Center (Arabic/English)
- El-Dorar (Arabic/English)
- SMART News Agency
- Syrian Media Organization
- Masar Press
- Jisr TV
- Shahba Press
- Idlib News Agency