249: Screenflow 8: Style Presets
New Time-Saver Feature
Do you do the same things over and over in your Screenflow videos? Create a Style Preset
Are you tired of having to change Gil Sans Font to match your brand font? Create a Style Preset
What are Styles in Screenflow 8?
- Styles are presets saved globally so you can use in all Screenflow Projects.
- If you are a Photoshop user, ‘Style Presets’ are similar to actions.
- Record changes you make to property actions and clips and save them as presets that you can use again and again.
- Also great for formatting text and fonts
- In Screenflow 8, you can create ‘Style Presets’ for one-click formatting & animations.
- Add a Property Action or Clip. Change the parameters. Save it as a Style Preset. The next time you add the same Property Action, click on the Style Preset to save time configuring the parameters.
Try Screenflow 8 (The screencasting software I use):
How To Use Styles in Screenflow
Some Screenflow Terminology:
- The main editing controls of ScreenFlow. Properties allow you to make changes and add effects to each clip or recording in your timeline.
- Each Property has a set of parameters you can change. The changes to the parameters can be saved as a Style Preset so you do not have to re-invent the wheel every time.
- Styles can be created for each property type
- An example: One thing I use all the time is Video Actions. (zooming & scaling are in the property). I often start with my webcam at 100% to introduce the video and then when I start teaching, I shrink down my camera view to a thumbnail down in the corner so viewers can see and hear me, but the focus is on the screen. To scale down my webcam window I use Video Actions. This action can now be saved as a Style Preset so in one click I can add that action to any video with all of the settings intact.
Properties that add actions (on top of recording track):
- Video (Scale, Rotation, Drop Shadow, Reflection, Color Controls…)
- Audio (Volume, Ducking, Effects, Filters)
- Video Motion (Effects: Spring, Gravity…)
- Screen Recording (Show Mouse, Cursor, Keyboard Strokes…)
- Callout (Highlighting)
- Touch Callout
Properties that add clips (on independent tracks):
- Annotations (Clips)
- Text (Clips)
Where Are Styles Located?
- Styles are located in the Inspector Panel (right sidebar)
- Click on Button with the Cube
- Create style presets for each property in Screenflow (Video, Audio, Text..)
To create style preset:
- In the timeline, click on the Property you want to change and press +Action
- Make changes to the parameters (scale, rotation…)
- With the scrubber at the end of the Action, click on the Styles Button to open
- Click + in the upper right
- Check all the parameters you want to save
- Click + again to Name it
- Click Done
How To Edit Style Presets
- Click on Style Button (cube)
- Click on a Style
- Click on Gear Icon
- Update, Rename, Delete