Moving Yourself vs. Hiring Movers
Not only is the moving process difficult, but it also comes with a boatload of choices. For instance, you need to decide which realtor to hire, which house to by, which furniture to move, etc. All of these choices are difficult within themselves. Not to mention you still have to pack up your entire house to get ready to move to your new home. Plus, then you need to answer the ultimate question of whether or not you’re going to move yourself, or hire movers. So, it’s no wonder that so many people feel totally overwhelmed before they even start putting their things into boxes. However, don’t fear. In this article we will show you the pros and cons of moving yourself versus hiring a mover.
· Save Money: by moving yourself you can save money by not incurring expenses from a moving company. You literally can save thousands of dollars by moving yourself. For instance, if you are just moving across town, U-Haul’s largest moving truck option holds 4+ bedrooms and only costs around $40 to rent. Unlike a moving company where it can cost hundreds of dollars.
· Pack However You Want: when you move yourself you’re not restricted or limited to packing any certain way. So, you won’t have to necessarily box up every single item in your home like you would if you are using movers. This can also save you money by not having to purchase as many packaging supplies. And what most home movers don’t realize is how expensive packaging supplies can get.
· Heavy Lifting: the absolute worst thing about moving yourself as having to do all the heavy lifting by yourself. Of course you can always enlist friends help, but you’re still going to have to do a majority of the work on your own. Now, if you have a small apartment this might not be such a big deal. However, if you have a 5 bedroom home, then this could get a little bit more difficult and take up a lot more of your time.
· Planning: when you decide to move yourself, you will have to put a ton and time into planning. Not only do you have to plan on packing up your entire house, loading up your entire house into a moving van, but you also have to figure all of the logistics of getting your stuff from point A to point B. Plus then you’ll have to plan on how to unload once you get there.
· Unexpected Problems arise: one of the biggest cons to moving yourself is unexpected problems. When you use movers, they can take care of all those little problems that come up. Unfortunately, when you move yourself you have to deal with every little thing that comes your way.
· You won’t have to lift a finger: literally, you won’t have to do anything. After all these trained movers were hired for a reason. And by using a reputable moving company, you’ll never have to worry about lifting or carrying any of your heavy items or your boxes out the door. All you’ll have to do is worry about packing up your house, and having the packaging supplies to get the job done. But, once this process is finished you can sit back and relax let the movers to the rest.
· Efficiency: hiring a moving company to move your home is definitely more efficient than doing it yourself. After all, they do this for a living. So, they know exactly how it needs to be done and the best way to do it. Plus, then you don’t have to worry about friends flaking on you who say they can help, but never show up.
· Less stress: hiring movers not only will save you time, but it will also save you a lot of stress. Which can in in itself make the money spent well worth it.
· Less Flexibility: when you hire a moving company, you are agreeing to move based on their schedule. So, this means that when you schedule a date for your things to be picked up you have to be ready on that date. Otherwise you can be charged massive amounts of fees if your part of the job isn’t complete.
· Expensive: as we said before hiring a moving company can be very expensive. The average cost of moving a local household is about $2,300 for 4 movers at $200 per hour. So, even if you’re just moving across town, hiring a moving company is still can cost you quite a bit of money.
· Impersonal: chances are that even if you hire a reputable moving company, your movers aren’t really going to care too much about your stuff. So, handing over valuable belongings to complete strangers can be a little bit nerve-racking. This is why it is so important to do your homework and find reputable moving companies that you can trust.
Regardless of which option you decide to go with, just make sure that you give yourself the proper amount of time to plan and make an informed decision on what’s best for you and your family. Happy moving!