No, Pundits, This “Presidency” is Over. Period.
For all intents and purposes, the Lord Donny “presidency” is over. The only thing left to do is the formality of getting rid of him bodily. He began the week by making a policy speech on Afghanistan that was notable only because Lord Donny showed that he was able to make a speech using a TelePrompTer without going off on one of his usual rants designed to placate the “deplorables” who make up his base. I’m not going to say it was a good speech because there was a lot of shit in there designed to ramp up tensions with some of our allies, like China and much of the Middle East. But it was better than usual. To those who were proclaiming Donny as “presidential” once again, all I can say is, your bar is too low. I didn’t think George W. Bush was ever presidential, really, but even he was better most of the time than Donald Trump is on his best day.
But then, last night, just about 24 hours after the Afghanistan speech, Lord Donny again went off the rails. In a 77- minute speech, he told dozens of lies (Source) and touched on every theme that HE THINKS got him where he is. He railed about “the Fake News media,” who supposedly lied about what he said after Charlottesville, even though HE is the only one who misquoted himself, leaving out the words “on every side” as he quoted himself “denouncing” white supremacists and Nazis, which he really still hasn’t done. He also defended his white nationalist base, even as he put down war hero John McCain and threw shade to the sailors on the USS John McCain, which is something virtually no one on the left would ever do. He also has apparently adopted perennial Republican candidate Dr. Kelli Ward in a race for the Senate from Arizona against Jeff Flake, who Lord Donny apparently hates because Flake took the position that racism is wrong and Nazis are a scourge. Now, I’m no fan of Flake, but Ward is another teabagger who will do anything to kowtow to Trump. I figure it may just be a matter of time before he’s impeached for letter her… well, never mind…
Essentially, after Monday, which was a relatively sane day in the world of the Trump Circus, it was almost as if Donny had to get out some demons or something. It’s clear he doesn’t understand his job and he is only comfortable on the campaign trail, where he can delude himself into believing he’s popular because a couple thousand people stand in front of him and scream their adoration. (And let’s be clear about yesterday’s crowd; I have been in that part of the Phoenix Convention Center before. It holds about 5,000, if it’s at capacity. At no time was that hall at capacity. When the speech started, there were maybe 3,500–4,000 in there, but they started streaming out within the first 15–20 minutes and by the time he was an hour in, there were maybe 2,000 left. Guess $10 per hour doesn’t pay for the best crowds anymore. And it means his claims of “15,000” is a lie.) So, Lord Donny has to hold campaign rallies to make himself feel better, even if someone has to pay crowds to show up.
Essentially, Trump’s reign is over. I don’t want to hear any “yeah, but” from the punditocracy, either. No one has ever had approvals this low and disapproval ratings this high so early in their presidency before this, so please don’t tell me you know he can come back from this. He really can’t. He’s occupied the White House for seven months now and he has done nothing. Oh, sure, he and the GOP have canceled a few of President Obama’s late-term initiatives, but that’s about it. Overall, everything he promised to do he has failed to do, and that pattern doesn’t seem likely to end anytime soon. Look at some of his record so far and please explain why anyone besides the most loyal “deplorables” would want him in the White House any longer than is necessary.
- He has signed one significant bill so far, and that one was designed to prevent him from committing more treason than he already has and making sure he can’t kill the sanctions placed on the Russian Government.
- When the Russian Government expelled about 750 staff of the US Embassies in Russia, Trump basically replied that such a move was good because it would save him money, thus showing a lack of skill and understanding that is breathtaking. Diplomatic expulsions used to be an act of war, but to Donny, they’re no big deal.
- He recently promised to shut down the government in order to get his precious wall built, which, of course, he can’t do, which means he’s setting himself up for further failure.
- Even his own party has told him the wall will never be built, no matter how many trips he makes to Yuma, Arizona and how many asses he kisses at the Border Patrol.
- While Trump loves to take credit for the jobs Obama momentum has created thus far since January, the fact is, no one can point to a single thing Trump has done to create a job.
- About half the jobs in his “administration” Remain unfilled, especially at the State Department, which means the agencies we depend on for even the most basic government services are unable to do their jobs.
- He spent his two-year campaign railing on Obama for all of his vacation expense, while he has already used up every dollar appropriated for Secret Service protection. In other words, the American taxpayer is forced to pay to support his family’s lavish lifestyle. There is no sense of “public service” in the Trump family.
- For seven months, he has taken a weekend vacation at one of his resorts every week, which means he is essentially forcing taxpayers to pay Trump for rooms and meals at his properties. In other words, for the first time in history, the president is paying himself With taxpayer money, in direct violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution.
- He took us to the brink of nuclear war with North Korea, which was only prevented when the crazy Kim Jong Un showed he was moderately less crazy than Trump, by backing down before the point of no return.
- He has made an ass of himself in front of every world leader that has ever visited him and he acted even more bizarre at the G-20. He — and by extension the United States — has become a world laughingstock.
- Trump Tweets almost daily and the Tweets he makes show him as someone without a rational thought in his head. He insults anyone who doesn’t kiss his ample ass and his racism and misogyny have become the stuff of legend.
- Not a day has gone by without something outrageous happening at the White House or on vacation. Hell; at some of his vacations, he’s actually allowed civilians to listen in on discussions of national security. One time, members of Mar-a-Lago actually took photos of the agent who was carrying the nuclear football.
- He has embraced groups of deplorable assholes, like white nationalists and Nazis — people that even most Republicans understand have to be publicly denounced, and he has repeatedly given them a voice in the White House.
Essentially, we have gone from “No Drama Obama” to “Giant Orange Toddler Trump.” Of course, most toddlers I know are better behaved, so I apologize for the slight to toddlers.
That is just a small sample of the shit Trump has pulled in his first seven months. To list everything would require a book the length of the Bible and War & Peace combined. So, I suppose, what do you imagine he could do to make himself popular enough to make his “presidency” relevant? How does that work? Even if, God forbid, there were another terrorist attack like the one on 9/11, he has almost no one around him capable of keeping him even as level-headed as George W. Bush. And he has shown himself incapable of leveling his own head.
We have a nutjob in the White House. The only thing left to do is to keep him under control until we can force him out.
Originally published at PCTC Blog.