1940s- Era of Comfort & Glamour
1940’s Fashion :
The1940’s is known as being glamorous in term of fashion.people from 1940s describe the time as unity. With the start of World War II life changed for the world. Women were required to make a contribution to the war effort and with women working, a huge impact happened to fashion. After decades of freedom and opulence, economic constraints and a feeling of social responsibility hit the fashion world creating a new utility and austerity: women were in uniform. Let’s know more about trends and styles in 1940s.
- Rosi riveter: “Rosie the Riveter,” star of a government campaign aimed at recruiting female workers for the munitions industry, became perhaps the most iconic image of working women during the war.
Katherine Hepburn :
There were a few reasons; foremost that my fav movie star in my formative years was the impulsive red haired Katharine Hepburn (1907–2003) — Kate, Kate, the prettiest Kate in Christendom’+
- Since then there has been additions to my list of women named ‘Katharine’ who could be given the tag ‘great’.
- Must say though there were many that I became fond of, Katharine Hepburn was, and always remained, the best.
- She was great enough in black and white and when we saw her in technicolour, it only upped the ante.
- Seemed to me during my early teenage years that she knew what real style was — far beyond discovering what suits you personally and wearing it well.
Judy Garland :
- One of the brightest, most tragic movie stars of Hollywood’s Golden Era, Judy Garland was a much-loved character whose warmth and spirit, along with her rich and exuberant voice, kept theatre-goers entertained with an array of delightful musicals.
As rationing hit full force, alternative cheaper dresses were created. The idea of function became prominent. A simple, understated shape was seen with the use of simple fabric.
- Tiny waist
- knee length skirt
- strong shoulders
- simple cut blouses
- women’s suits
1940s Designers and Labels :
- Christian Dior (The new look -1947)
- Maisonn Haute Couture
- Vera Maxwell
Trends of the 1940s:
- Elaborate hair
- Swing Skirts
Colors of the 1940s:
- Dark greens
- Mostly plain colors
Fabric used in 1940s:
- synthetic material
Historical events which took place in 1940s :
- Pearl Harbor
- The first computer
- World War II
To be continued………….1950s