Let’s build a public media organization from scratch, in 2016.
Your homework for tonight: you’ve been given $3 million dollars. It comes with one string attached: you must use that money to create a new public media organization in the United States. Some questions to think about — and answer.
- What is your organization’s mission?
- What types of media are you making? Audio? Video? Airplane banners? Something else?
- Does it exist in physical space? If not, why not?
- Who does it serve?
- How is it funded?
- How do you measure success? What’s the timeline?
- How many employees do you have? What do they do?
- Who do you ask to join your board?
- How do you organize the topics you cover? By topic, by region, by something else entirely?
- Do you create partnerships? If yes, with who?
- Are you thinking about events? Trainings?
- Will there be a pledge drive?
Some more questions from Kristen Muller
13. What is your wildest vision of success?
14. How will you design your product?
15. How might we understand information needs of audience?
16. How do you ensure diversity?
17 Who is “the boss”?
18. Who’s responsible for generating revenue and keeping the lights on?
19. What technologies exist that will help you build your organization?
20. How will you communicate your mission to the world?
21. How is it different from everything else out there?
22. Do you cover ‘topics’ or do you pick one question and drill down deep into the earth until you know every single thing about that one thing?