Dear President Obama, please sue Trump for libel
1. President Obama, do you know that Donald Trump once sued comedian Bill Maher when Maher joked that Trump’s orange color was the result of his mother copulating with an orange-haired orangutan?
Trump is a small man. He is a bully with notoriously thin skin who cannot rise above the slightest jibe or brush off a harmless joke.
2. Trump has accused you of wiretapping Trump Tower during his presidential campaign. If you had done such a thing, it would be a felony. Some legal experts have argued that you could easily win a libel case because a) there is no evidence to back up Trump’s claim as the FBI and the Department of Justice have clearly asserted there was no such wiretapping (with or without quotes) and b) there is ample proof that the Tangerine Bully-in-chief has acted with reckless disregard for your reputation. As the sitting president, it is not easy to sue him but it is not impossible.
3. For years, Trump has maliciously attempted to undermine you. When you were POTUS, he undercut your legitimacy by claiming that you were not born in the US and insisting that you produce your birth certificate. Now that your presidential term is over, he is determined to overturn the Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare with a diabolical bill that would leave tens of millions without adequate health care. Furthermore, he is attempting to destroy your reputation by every means possible, thus eroding your long-term legacy.
4. You’re a big man who has always tried to rise above. Thank you for that. It’s the reason you’re known as ‘no drama Obama.’ Maturity, prudence, reserve, etc. are normally laudable characteristics. However, acting like a grown-up is not a tactic that can work when one is trying to counter the attacks of a man like Trump, a man who only understands power as a zero-sum game, who must crush the other in order to feel accomplished.
5. Trump’s proficiency in the English language is extremely limited. Similarly, he does not seem to understand the difference between right and wrong, truth and lies, fact and delusion, dignity and unseemliness etc. etc. When you rise above and restrain yourself from lashing out, he is not capable of commending you for your transcendence. He merely sees it as weak.
6. If you sue Trump, you might, just might, cause him to think twice before he recklessly tweets more insults and falsities that cause harm to those he directs them at, especially those who are so much less powerful than he is. Furthermore, it is not hyperbolic to claim that he might one day start a war with one of his 5 a.m. tweets.
7. President Obama, you trained as a lawyer. Should you win the case, Trump would owe you ‘punitive damages.’ This will cost him a lot of money. Besides his ego that is all he seems to really care about.
8. Please stop trying to fight bigotry with big-mindedness, narcissism with selflessness, peevishness with high-browed restraint. It is not working. It’s time to fight Trump with his own tactics. He loves suing people. Give him a taste of his own medicine. He can only choke on it.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Exhausted Ordinary Person