What body type are you? Ectomorphs, Endomorphs, and Mesomorphs explained
We all are built differently and everyone can gain or lose weight at their own pace. So before you jump onto your next diet or workout program, it is crucial that you are aware of the three basic body type: Ectomorph, Mesomorph, and Endomorph.
Find out if the physical traits your body exhibits classifies you into one of the three body types:
The ectomorph is can be distinctly spotted at any gym. They have a light build with small joints and lean muscle. Ecto’s usually have long thin limbs and stringy muscles. They have smaller shoulders and frame. The bane for every ectomorph is their fast metabolism which burns up calories very quickly. They need huge amounts of calories in order to gain weight.
How to spot an Ectomorph?
- Has a small delicate frame and bone structure
- Faces difficulty in gaining weight
- Is usually flat chested with small shoulders
- Has an extremely fast metabolism
Training Tips for Ectomorphs:
- Train with heavier weights with repetitions in the 5–10 range.
- Incorporate compound lifts for gaining muscle.
- Take longer rest breaks to compensate for the heavy lifting.
- Try and avoid cardio altogether and use HIIT exercises instead.
Diet tips for Ectomorphs:
- Consume high density foods such as almonds, avocado,and peanut butter.
- Break your calorie intake into smaller meals instead of having one big meal.
- Your diet should contain 50–60% carbohydrates.
- It’s okay to indulge in junk food once in awhile to reach your calorie intake.
Examples of celebrities who are ectomophs: Brad Pitt, Toby Maguire, Chris Rock, Edward Norton, Kate Moss, Cameron Diaz, Gisele Bunchen
The mesomorph is the intermediate of the ectomorph and the endomorph and has characteristics of both. They have a larger frame but a lower fat percentage. They can fluctuate their weight rather easily. They are naturally strong and hence have a perfect platform to build muscle.
How to spot a Mesomorph?
- Athletic built with a well defined muscle mass, wide shoulders and smaller waist.
- They have low body fat and more musculature.
- They put on muscle easily and burn fat easily.
Training Tips for Mesomorph:
- Train in 8–12 repetitions and rest for 3 minutes between sets.
- Do adequate amount of cardio to stay lean.
Diet tips for Mesomorphs:
- Keep carbohydrates at 40–60% and break your meals into 5–6 meals throughout the day.
- Your diet should contain enough calories to maintain muscle mass.
Celebs who are Mesomorphs:Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, George Clooney, Jennifer Garner, Tina Turner, Halle Berry, Anna Kournikova
The endomorph is a complete opposite of the ectomorph. Endos are usually larger in appearance with more fat accumulation and little muscle definition. They are usually shorter in built with thick arms and legs.
How to spot an Endomorph?
- They usually have a soft and round body because of their tendency to gain muscle and fat easily.
- They have a very slow metabolism and hence pack on the pounds easily
- Muscles are not easily defined for endomorphs
Training tips for Endomorphs:
- Train in the range of 15 reps or more and break for for rest periods of 30–45 seconds. This will allow you to perform more reps without straining yourself.
- Do as much cardio as possible!
- Do compound lifts to burn more calories and define muscles.
Diet tips for Endomorphs:
- Portion your meals appropriately. Approximate one fist size to one serving.
- Consume atleast 30–40% carbohydrates instead of all protein.
- Eat non processed foods, whole grains, and vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself full.
- Distribute your calorie intake in 5–6 smaller meals.
Celebs who are Endomorphs: Jack Black, Wayne Knight, Jennifer Hudson, Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah, Oprah Winfrey, Beyonce
Body Type Combinations
You are most likely able to identify yourself with one over the other two, but you still might have qualities of some of the others. Being a pure breed is a rarity and you are most definitely a combination of two out of the three types, for example one could be an ecto-meso morph who has an ectomorphic body but has finally achieved a mesomorphic physique. So there is n hard and fast rule that you will not be able to lose or gain weight according to your body type, but knowing your body type makes it easier for you to set your fitness goals according to your body’s capabilities.
Originally published at www.mobiefit.com on April 23, 2017.