Local Mentor Experience at Docker Birthday #5 Celebration — Mumbai Edition
Augustine Correa is running a Mumbai Technology Meetup more than five years and conducting a different tech theme every month with best and veteran speakers in that domain. As in the IT industry, we all have an responsibility to give back to the community, and I think, he is doing it so well, I personally learn many things from him and I am sure you will ! Thanks a lot Augustine for giving me a chance to mentor again.
Batteries Included but Removable: which basically means that defaults are pretty easy and common to work with, but you can change a lot of the options under the hood. High level abstraction of docker architecture is an integration of many different components and together, that integration gives us a platform. That includes everything we need to develop an application, building and shipping them, monitoring, etc.
Open always wins: Dev as well Ops can build something productive on top of it by resolving more problems. The platform will become modular and open always wins principal achieved with it.
Separation of Concern: Ideally, containers shouldn’t contain your unique data mixed in with the application binaries and Docker actually gives us a big benefit here. We can update our application by recreating a new container, with an updated version of our app, and ideally, our unique data is still where it needs to be and was preserved for us while our container is recycled.
Then the real fun starts with the Hands-on labs. Here, is the Github link for Docker Fifth Birthday
These are few questions I came across while mentoring at the event.
1) How do containers compare to virtual machines? Explain with different factors like, resource utilization, performance, etc.
2) What is the difference between ADD and COPY in the Dockerfile ?
3) How the containers communicate with each other ?
4) Docker claims, it has implemented best security ? How does it work ?
5) Why the size of the images are very large as few are in GB’s ?
6) How can you differentiate Docker Swarm : Shared volumes vs clustering vs single instance.
7) What is overlay network ? How to achieve inter-container communication ?
8) How Swarm instances handle db connections ?
9) How the Orchestration works ? How it is w.r.t. performance and scale with
comparison to kubernetes ?
10) How docker helps micro-services to breakdown n-tiers architectures ?
11) When you say, small changes does that mean development/tested/deployed to production because products are not small ?
12) What should be my strategy with Docker ? As I have certain stack for front-end as well as back end ? What should I dockerize ?
13) Are docker unprivileged containers absolutely secure ?
14) How do I back up docker images ?
15) How many containers I can run in a single machine ?
16) Can I use docker for virtualizing development environment for a team of developer ?
And, most of them have completed the Beginner Docker 101 — Linux and Docker 101 — Windows Containers and half way at the Kubernetes on Docker for Mac and Docker for Windows . Even though they are new to docker, they enjoyed the session. And, I enjoy the questions and their curiosity of understanding the docker. They share some good use cases for docker along with their own strategy for learning and applying in their day to day job. Enjoyed a lot.
Finally, we had a Networking, Cake, Fun, Selfies and celebration, etc.
“If you want to keep pace with the rapidly changing world, the agile approach where innovation is done by making it open to ecosystem. And, you will gonna develop the skills, the collaborative way, to build, ship and run applications.”
Cheers ! Docker !!