Improvement in PCOS after Bariatric Surgery
About Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a serious problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances.
Symptoms of PCOS
- Weight gain and trouble losing weight.
- Extra hair on the face and body.
- Thinning hair on the scalp.
- Irregular periods.
- Many women who have PCOS have trouble getting pregnant (infertility).
Disadvantages of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- The sex hormones get out of balance. Normally, the ovaries make a tiny amount of male sex hormones (androgens). In PCOS, they start making slightly more androgens. This may cause you to stop ovulating, get acne, and grow extra facial and body hair.
- The body may have a problem using insulin, called insulin resistance. When the body doesn’t use insulin well, blood sugar levels go up. Over time, this increases your chance of getting diabetes.
What is Treatment or Cure for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome?
Consult a bariatric surgeon now, if you are suffering from PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and obesity.