Discovering hidden potential in children
“We should not give up and we should not allow the problem to defeat us”.
Dr.A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
One of the very important characteristics of a child is the eagerness to question.Encourage the child to ask questions.Positive response to the queries can lead to nourishment in the cognitive development in children.
Creativity is the key to success in the future life,and primary education is the phase where teachers can bring out the creative mind and multiple potentials in children.According to Jean Piaget’s theory of Cognitive Development children move through four different stages of mental development.
- The 1st is the Sensory motor stage i.e from birth to 2 years in which the toddler acquires knowledge through sensory experience and manipulating objects.
- The 2nd stage is the Preoperational Stage i.e 2 to 7 years in which the children are capable to think symbolically and struggle to see things from the perspectives of others.
- The third stage,the Concrete Operational stage i.e from 7 to 11 years in which the the children begin to think logically about concrete events.
- The fourth stage is the Formal Operational Stage i.e from 12 years and above,in this phase the young adolescent are able to think abstractly and reason about hypothetical problems.Not only this but they are able to think more about moral,philosophical,ethical,social and political issues.Now at this phase the children become capable of gaining multiple potential.
“The offering of wisdom is better than any material offering ”
The Bhagawad Gita
Now the point is that in every stage of child’s development,the emotional or academic care taker should understand the child’s developmental stages and where to enhance the potentials.The purpose of education is to make good human beings with skill and expertise.A child should be raised internally motivated.Enlightened human beings can be created by parents and teachers .They should give more emphasis on the child’s intellectual growth rather than running after grades.
What will happen if an Elephant is forced to compete with a Cheetah for a race,it will be an absolute stupidity and loss of energy and insult to both of the animals.The elephant is known for the mammoth task of carrying weights and timbers which a cheetah can never do.Every child is born with limitless potential and talents.The initial phase i.e the Preoperational Stage i.e from 2 to 7 years of the child should be mostly guided by parents and guardians.It is the duty of the parents to help the child in discovering and developing their talents.Not only parents but the teachers,mentors and guidance counselors should encourage the child in helping them to boost their confidence.The more the mind gets exposed to knowledge of self realization the more it will get emotional nourishment and the child will thrive to maximize his/her potential.
Introducing children to a variety of activities is the best way in the process of shaping their bright future.Engaging them in extra curricular programs,community bases or even privately funded youth function can enhance the child’s aptitude and appreciation for each activity.Not only encouragement and appreciation but also rewards should be initiated for boosting self confidence.This will enlighten the parent child bonding and the child will start to approach towards their own choices or natural ability.
‘’ They say that the senses are superior(to the body);
superior to the senses is the mind;
superior to the mind is the intellect;
and one who is superior even to the intellect is He-the Self”
The Bhagawad Gita
Parents should always keep in mind that success can be enjoyed in many levels.
- Direction: Some children have an affinity for sports related talents.Others exhibit artistic skills.Some children are academically and some are differently abled.Every child has different interest,not all will be interested in pursuing a technical education but those who display or exhibit an aptitude for higher learning in technology should be generously encouraged to move in that direction.Children who exhibit the quality and ability to lead a group of playmates or peer groups should be directed towards sports.Those children who exhibit and show appreciation for musical qualities should directed towards music or dance lessons.
- Supporting their choice: If we listen and take initiative from our child about their interest,they will often directly or indirectly express an interest in subject that we as parents can then structure their activities to enhance themselves.We should empower our children to make the right choice.
- Team work: Keeping in touch with mentors,guidance counselors and teachers is one of the most effective way to identify the child’s interest and hidden potentials.These professionals are trained to identify areas of excellence in students and they help them in providing the best coaching and resources in bringing out the best.The parents should work as a team and remain in contact to identify the hidden talents and construct different strategies to nourish those skills.
“We were kept from our goal,not by obstacles,but by a clear path to a lesser goal”
The Bhagawad Gita
The journey of success is not always a cakewalk for every student,the student might face ups and downs and these should not dissuade parents,teachers or mentors from encouraging the students in their influence to continue developing talents.Failures have always proved to be a lesson for every individual and the mentors should always encourage the students to take this phase positively.They should keep encouraging and help in completing an unfinished task.The students should be made to realize how refreshing and satisfactory is to complete a task.They should feel happy in achieving the positive result.
Every individual such as parents teachers,mentor should always understand that every child is different and has different abilities and it is their duty to bring out the best hidden talent because only after polishing many a times a diamond sparkles.Always be your child’s biggest cheerleader.