Since the design has still not be finalized, I decided to create a workflow that anyone can use on the iterations we have been working on. This workflow will aim to enable all members of the group, including tutors, to structurally test the iterations using Karamba.
The two workflows I’ve developed will work on curved beams, and panels that are the structural elements.
From my findings within the previous model, it was decided as a group that the design needed to be changed. Nissie and Dom worked on the overall design and came up with the following concept.
‘The pavilion, named Lamella after the membranous folds found in several species of fungi, is inspired by the biological structure of the lactarius fungi species’.
Currently I would like to work with Karamba for my graduation project, so therefore I volunteered to do the structural testing of the current form so I could experiment and start to understand Karamba.
Due to the material behavior script (latex behavior) not being completed, I experimented with the form in Karamba if it was only beams. If the latex script cannot be completed, the beam only structure is something we will need to continue with.
Some students went into university on Thursday and Friday to contribute to the pavilion design. Nissie and Dominic worked on the computational design and I explored kangaroo and the material form which would be attached to the design. Both Emily and I researched the effect of gravity on the material if it was draped over the structure and how it would push through. I explored the structure that Nariddh created.
There is a section where the fabric has nothing to hang onto and therefore drops quite low. This is shown in the image on the left side of the…
As mentioned previously, I wanted to create a PDF that is live in FLUX or another online platform. This will allow people not working on the design to see the changes as they happen.
Firstly, I tested if I could send the PDF using Revit and flux only.
I created the sheet and selected all.
Create a system that generates a structural wall frame using Karamba 3D, which adapts to the form of the building and updates with each change. This wall frame will then be optimised using Galapagos to achieve the least amount of materials needed for the wall to be structurally sound, whilst also considering the surrounding architectural design and the design of the wall structure itself. By doing this, clients and companies will be able to save time, money and be more sustainable. …
As the optimisation of the structure was now completed, I started to research artificial intelligence (AI) in BIM to decipher whether we could incorporate it in some way into the pavilion project.
AI in architecture is still very new, however, developing rapidly. Its the idea of rather than doing things manually, or rather than being pre-programmed, the system is able to train and improve itself based on experience. Nicholas Nepgroponte states in ‘The Architecture Machine’, that the relationship between the architect and the computer is ‘not of master and slave, but rather, two associates that have potential and desire for…
We need to find out how many members are needed to make the grid stand. We want to use a less as possible to:
I made a grid using a tutorial I found on the internet as the parametric grid given to me would not work in Karamba.
Shown above is the grid I was given, it would have errors in relation to its supports and would continuously crash when I would try to make it work by playing with parameters etc.
I made a grid using points and lines and came…
I started to complete tutorials on Karamba as I wanted to try and work out what aspects I would need to know before receiving the finalized model.
Karamba has a lot more tutorials since the last time I looked (May 2016), which will be really useful. It’s amazing to see how quickly people have taken on this structural analysis tool.
Firstly, I looked at making a ‘complex beam structure’ from watching tutorials. These tutorial also looked at taking the geometry from Karamba>Geometry Gym +IFC > Revit, however, I was only interested in the first aspect at this time.