The castle that few know about.
Hidden in the forest at one of the biggest cities in the world, there is a castle with black and white square floors, beautiful gardens and a story to tell.
Before the castle was built in Mexico City, the importance of this place was prehispanic.
Chapultepec Castle, was then built in 1785 on the hill of grasshoppers (name given in Náhuatl) to be the summer home of Viceroy Bernardo de Galvez y Madrid.
It was abandoned during the war of Mexico’s independence, until it was decreed as Military College in 1833. After that, people started calling it «castle». Although it was in 1844 when its use as Military School began, by making several changes in its structure.
The castle was bombed by the US military on 12 and 13 September 1847, during the war. Over time, they have added more rooms.
Its present appearance was achieved during the Second Empire (1863–1867) with: Maximilian of Hapsburg and Carlota. The garden at the top, was designed by Austrian botanist Wilhelm Knechtel and most of what we see today, was brought from Europe by orders of Maximilian.
The castle has been military academy, imperial and presidential residence. In 1939 it was declared by President Lazaro Cardenas headquarters of the National Museum of History, which later opened on September 27, 1944.