Why The F*ck Would You Start a Social Network Right Now?
Because at dreamr, we see things differently.
We all have those friends who use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat all in the same day. Maybe that’s you. Getting them (or you) to spend time in another app, let alone use another social network is asking a whole lot these days. Especially when there are a bunch of other people already asking. See: Peach, REX, Anchor, Beme, Shorts, Roger, Talkshow, the list goes on..
This doesn’t bother us at dreamr because we view social networking as a solution to a very large problem that nearly all of us experience, but none of these platforms address:
We are all fully capable of achieving our dreams, but 99% of us are not currently pursuing them.
Achieving a dream right now might seem like a 1 in a million shot. Once we reach a certain age or arbitrary amount of responsibility in adult life, we place our dreams so low on the priority list we hardly give them any thought at all.
Following our dreams requires us to take risks and get way outside our comfort zone. The idea can become so daunting we begin to tell ourselves it can’t be done, that now isn’t the right time. Maybe we aren’t special enough. Or perhaps the most dangerous, “I just don’t know what my dream is”. These are all beliefs that deny the truth of who we are and prevent us from living our destiny.
How did things become this way, for so many of us?
Well, turns out the reason is a bit complex.
Part of the issue is we don’t surround ourselves with supportive people. We surround ourselves with a lot of people we wouldn’t even tell about our dreams and aspirations for fear of being judged.
Think of the six people closest to you, do you know what their dream is? Because they all have one. Having a dream for your life, or a vision for who you want to become and what you want to accomplish, is inherently human. Following your dreams is also the key to discovering your life’s purpose.
At dreamr, we believe:
- CONNECTIONS are the most valuable currency in the world.
- A dream coming true can potentially be one connection, one message away.
- Everyone has within them the limitless potential to live the life of their dreams.
- We are each other’s greatest resource of knowledge, wealth and support.
- We Are All One, and through unity we can achieve anything.
Simply stated, we believe in YOU and are committed to building a product and space to assist in turning your dreams to reality.
Leveraging Your Connections
So with all this social networking already going on, why aren’t we currently leveraging the new connections we make to help us in achieving our dreams?
Well, some people are. For example my friend Lior Zoref used his facebook network to not only achieve his dream of speaking at TED, but be the first person to ever crowdsource the TED Talk itself!
Lior gives wonderful tools and techniques on how to build quality networks on a variety of platforms in his book Mindsharing: The Art of Crowdsourcing Everything. So it can no doubt be done, especially if you’re willing to put in the effort.
But let’s say you’re not Lior, and you didn’t spend 14 years working for Microsoft building valuable connections who want to see you succeed in your new ventures.
Let’s say you are more like me, 5 years ago. A 22 year old kid with big dreams. There is a world of opportunity in front of you, but most of the people around you called your dreams crazy and wanted to limit your potential. Your outside guidance day in and day out is to go back to school, keep your government job at social services. Stay the safe and secure route. Keep the steady paycheck at all costs. Dreams are uncertain and 99% of them fail anyway.
How does one find the courage to overcome these things?
A Supportive Network
Don’t get me wrong, my friends and family at the time just wanted to protect me, I understand that. I can even appreciate it now. But let me make this clear, nobody ever brings up their dreams with you to be talked out of pursuing them.
What a dreamer could really use is some support. A person, or better yet a whole network in their life who genuinely cares about their success and gives them the encouragement to try and keep trying when they fail. Support can be a variety of things, here’s what I mean:
- Have you ever heard the saying that a smile to a stranger can change their entire day? Well, so can commenting “Inspiring, keep up the great work” on someone‘s dream update. Positivity is contagious and uplifting, those chasing their dreams should surround themselves with positive people who encourage them from day one.
- You may not realize this, but you have the power to make dreams come true. The moment you will know it, is when you see someone declare their dream and you have the magic “wow, I could assist in making that happen” moment.
- Have an idea that needs a team to collaborate and execute? I promise connecting with people who are passionate about the same things will help you discover the dream team you’re looking for.
- Not quite sure what your dream is? Other people’s dreams inspire me every day. While I know what my dream is, watching other people discover and follow their dreams can help lead you to discover yours. We are currently developing some awesome tools to help people discover their dream as well.
- Already living out your dreams? Congratulations. I am certain that everyone around you is influenced and inspired by you. Dreamr is your opportunity to give back to a network of people just like you.
What if there was something you could do towards achieving your dreams today?
What if it was something you already do every day?
So we spent a long time figuring out the best way to approach this problem. The solution started out very complex, but as we understood it more it eventually became very simple:
Build a social platform that allows people to declare their dream and start building a new network of supportive connections immediately. For it to truly provide value, we knew the network would have to facilitate new connections for the user around their dream.
Introducing dreamr & Dream Connect
This is not a game to us.
This is about more than who can release the shiniest new feature to hold your attention.
This is about more than ad revenue.
This is about putting your attention on achieving your dreams.
This is about tools and content that provide real value to your life.
This is a movement.
Are you a dreamr?
dreamr™ - Elevate Your Social Experience - available now on iOS
The world's first social network that connects users based on their dreams and aspirations. Imagine the possibilities.
The dreamr pre-release is currently available on iOS.