One public service supporting the vulnerable and creating a sustainable borough
Our philosophy is that residents would find it easier if public services worked much more closely together. We wish to explore all opportunities for health, police, emergency services and others to come closer together to better serve the interests of Kingston people.
- We will give a Council Tax discount for those homes who have a carer. Going into hospital or care can be a debilitating event. Where you live is important for your quality of life and we wish to support you in your home.
- We will give a Council Tax discount for those young people leaving care and starting our on their lives.
- The Lib Dems left us without a children’s home and we are currently sending children out of Borough. We will ensure we have two new children’s homes to support the children most in need.
- We are spending millions of pounds a year sending our most vulnerable children out of Borough, in taxis, to expensive private sector facilities. We need to change this by building new Special Educational Needs schools in the Borough.
- We will work to bring together the Estates of Surrey County Council (in Kingston) and other public services into a single “public service quarter”, making it easier for residents to access all public services.
- We will continue the programme to make Kingston a dementia friendly Borough
- We will build two new care homes and offer Council Tax discounts to homes with carers
- The Government used to have a number of websites for each department that were impossible to navigate. Since then everything has been unified under one single government website. We will explore the same for Kingston residents.
- We will create a small innovation team that will lead innovation across the council.
- We will establish a Business Investment Unit whose role is to attract new businesses to Kingston from both a national and international perspective