The Essentials to build the perfect Capsule Wardrobe.
The capsule wardrobe may seem like an innovative approach to getting dressed, but its beginnings date back to the 1970s. The recent rebirth of the capsule wardrobe is a testament to its relevance, no matter the decade. Let’s take a look back at its origins and the history behind it. The 1970s, the term- capsule wardrobe, was coined by Susie Faux in the 1970s. As Faux states, “The basic idea is simple: by building a capsule wardrobe, you will buy fewer clothes of a higher quality that you will wear more often. You will look and feel confident and successful because the quality will show and because you know that the overall look works.”
The concept was created with the career woman specifically in mind. The capsule wardrobe provides women with a roadmap of how to get dressed with ease while still looking professional and put together.
It’s hard to say why the capsule wardrobe has seen a revival in the last few years. Perhaps the rise of fast fashion and its successive impact on women’s closets is pushing consumers to be more contentious. Maybe our closets, filled with cheap, ill-fitting clothes, have driven us to look for more long-lasting wardrobe solutions. Whatever the driving force may be, women today are experiencing the same issues they did 30 years ago. As Donna Karan stated in 1985, “So many women find assembling the right clothes bewildering today. They’ve discovered fast ways to put food on the table, but they do not know how to get their wardrobes together easily.” This still rings true in 2017. It is no surprise that women today love the capsule wardrobe concept. It allows us to get dressed with ease and save time and energy for the things that matter most.
Women are interested more than ever in pairing down their wardrobes and eliminating closet stress. The process of creating a capsule wardrobe allows you to evaluate what to get rid of, what to keep, and what items you might need to add to your closet.
Now that we’ve talked about the history of the capsule wardrobe and discussed the benefits of the creating a pared down closet- let me help you build your wardrobe of staple pieces.
Here are a few recommendations from my own capsule wardrobe:
1. Black Trousers This is a staple for any working woman. Always count on them for meeting for casual with a t-shirt and scarf or button down and blazer. Wear them with a silk blouse and pumps for work or a T-shirt on a chill Saturday.
2. A Great Pair of Jeans Does anyone not own a pair of jeans? Invest in a pair that makes your bum look fab. A good pair of jeans are a staple piece to have for decades to come, so you may might want to splurge.
3. A Timeless Trench Coat This timeless garment is my go to outwear for formal, classic look. I would suggest splurging on a quality trench coat because I do not foresee this going out of style.
4. A Classic Pair of Pumps No girl in the world should go without a pair of wearable, classic, and simple pumps in their closet. This footwear is perfect for date night or power meetings. They go with pretty much anything. They’ll turn your, otherwise, casual outfit chic.
5. A Sneaker These are the essential casual footwear. Perfect for working out, traveling, or just running errands.
6. A Classic Tee This is my go to comfy days. Whether you layer this perfect T-shirt under a sweater or over a tank top, tuck it into a skirt or let it hang free with a pair of denim cutoffs, one thing is for sure: Nothing is more fundamental to your closet than this trusty staple.
7. A Silky Tank This is my day-to-night styling solution. From date nights to girl’s night out, this ethereal essential is perfect for when I want to look girly and sexy.
8. A Leather JacketThis edgy outerwear is the opposite of trench coat. It’s both classic and edgy, making it a go-to statement layer that works from office to evening.
9. LBD (black dress) Every magazine, fashion blog, and even your mother was right — having a trusty LBD in your closet is a crucial item in your wardrobe.
10. Classic Blazer-Blazers are excellent pieces because there are so many varieties to choose from. Both shrunken and oversized styles are hot right now, but before you purchase either of those, be sure of have that perfect-fitting classic one in your closet. Make sure the sleeves hit right at your wrists, and the shoulders have enough room to layer underneath. The front should be fitted, but not pull out around your chest.
A trip to the tailor might be pricey but is SO worth it when it comes to a timeless piece like this.
Phromsavanh is a passionate serial entrepreneur creating business solutions in the industry she knows best — fashion. She is an innovative brand builder with multifaceted expertise in retail, marketing, strategy, business development, and consumer behavior. Phromsavanh is an acclaimed Keynote speaker and enjoys speaking on topics that include — entrepreneurship, minority women in business, leadership, women’s empowerment, E-commerce, shopping habits and personalization, fashion, retail, and motivational ideas for carving a non-conventional path. Contact Monica to have her speak at your company event or conference soon.