Some non-organized thoughts about Instagram Stories
Basically Instagram copied Snapchat with Stories
Many tech people have already commented the fact that
- the product is very well made,
- you don’t have a build a community again,
- discovery is better
Actually the best companies such as Facebook or Apple know how to take an existing idea, and to improve it, but it was not as easy as we think. Facebook tried to
- buy Snapchat, it did not work
- create an app called Slingshot, they shut it down
- they A/B tested ephemeral messages within Messenger, I don’t think it has been used a lot
- Finally, they put Stories concept into Instagram, and boom!
I want to add that it’s amazing how they cleverly add it to Instagram UX, without saying that it’s very fast (Thank you Facebook, whose infrastructure is probably more robust than Snapchat)
1 problem, on Snapchat I follow only 15–25 people
- some friends using it — I am 31, so they are not numerous
- some celebrities & influencers
- s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶s̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶e̶d̶
because it’s very time consuming to follow stories
However, I follow 600+ people on Instagram, and it’s already difficult to view all the stories (we have also consider that it’s new, so everybody is testing it right now).
So Instagram removed the chronological feed, to add a new chronological horizontal story feed, it doesn’t make sense…
Finally, I think people will still continue to use Snapchat, because you still can have 1-to-1 asynchronous photo/video conversion, which is not possible with Instagram Stories
And you what do you think about Instagram stories? Any thoughts or comments?