Implementing TQM in Your Way
What is Total Quality Management?
Total quality management is an organization-wide philosophy with its core values centered on continually improving the quality of its product and services, and the quality of its processes, to meet and exceed customer expectations.
This means that everyone in the organization — from top management to the employees — plays a role in providing quality products and services to customers. Even suppliers and the customers themselves are part of the TQM.
Five Principles of TQM
In order to exceed customer expectations, an organization must embrace five principles:
- Customer Focus: Any Organization or Industry depends on their customers. Therefore they should understand current and future customer needs, should meet customer requirements and strive to exceed customer expectations.
Before TQM: Before studying TQM i was not customer oriented person. As i organized several events keeping in mind how to earn maximum profit leaving customers beside.
After TQM: After learning from TQM I had learned that customers are your your long term assets. If i will not be customer oriented definitely after some time i will start loosing my customers. Or my customers might shift to other brands which will be great loss for me.
2. Strategic and Systematic Approach: Identifying, understanding and managing interrelated processes as a system contributes to the organisation’s effectiveness and efficiency in achieving its objectives.
Before TQM: Before going through this principle in TQM, My life was totally unstructured, I don’t know what i wanted to achieve in my life.
After TQM: After implementing this principle I analysed how to manage my life and what i have to achieve and to be a successful person by achieving my objectives and goals.
3. Continual Improvement: Every Organization should do continual improvement or else it will be vanished or destroyed. Continual improvement of the organization’s overall performance should be a objective of the organization.
Before TQM: I was not continual improving myself as i was just following the old traditional methods which are being followed since decades. For example: Completed my Bachelor’s now will do MBA.
After TQM: But after learning this principle i learned that i should further enhance myself by gaining market experience rather than theoretical degrees and beside that if i want i can further do different online courses free of cost anytime.
4. Fact-based Decision Making: A logical approach, based on data and analysis, is good business sense. Unfortunately, in a fact paced workplace, decisions can often be made rashly, without proper thought.
Before TQM: I usually don’t make fact-based decision making for which i had suffered a lot in my life.
After TQM: But after learning TQM i had learned that fact-based decision making helps you to challenge and change reliable opinions and decisions.
5. Communications:Communication plays a very vital role in any organization or an industry. As it helps employees to get involved in decision-making process to give them a sense of empowerment. It also helps in motivating employees morale high.
Before TQM: I was always afraid of communicating with others whenever i was stuck in any problem. I think that by communicating my problems with others will make me degrade.
After TQM: But after learning TQM i had learned that communication helps you in enhancing your skills and learning techniques. It also removes the barriers of miscommunication between you and your employee. If you can’t communicate you will not be able to achieve anything.