Conflict is “a serious disagreement or argument, typically a protracted one.”
The Three Characteristics of Conflict are:
For example: I want to have the day off Friday, you want to have the day off Friday. I want to expand our stores, you want to keep them the same.
For example: Two people who don’t necessarily get along are assigned to the same project.
For example: the expression of incompatibility.
Because we work with other people and we don’t always have the same ideas or goals, conflict is inevitable. The following are the top five conflict management styles that are used. The first two are positive styles of conflict management you can utilize and the last three are a few you should be able to recognize/avoid.
- Collaboration: In the collaboration style of conflict management you work together to reach a consensus or agreement.
2. Compromise: In the compromise style of conflict management one or both parties give up something in order to find a solution to the problem.
3. Competition: In the competiition style of conflict management, you try to force your opinion or idea on the other party.
4. Accommodation: In the accommodation style of conflict management a party sacrifices whole or part of their own preferences or views just to please others.
5. Avoidance: In the avoidance style of conflict management a party will try to avoid the conflict but running away or hiding from the problem.
A lot of people try to shy away from conflict, but in reality conflict always will arise. The more you exercise your conflict management skills, the better you become as an employee.