WHY PROGRESSIVISM IS LESS COMPATIBLE WITH THE RESTORED GOSPEL OF CHRIST
When comparing progressivism and conservatism, why is progressivism less compatible with the restored gospel of Christ (i.e. Mormonism)?
I’ll give you 25 reasons*:
1. Because of the progressive aversion to authority.
2. Because of the progressive virtue of ‘doubt’ (over ‘faith’).
3. Because of the mistaken idea that morality can be crowd-sourced.
4. Because of the progressive embarrassment over supernaturalism.
5. Because of the progressive desire for the democratization of apostolic revelation.
6. Because of the progressive confusion that to be objective, one must be neutral.
7. Because of the progressive notion that the self is far less fallible than, say, the Brethren.
8. Because of the progressive fixation on physical welfare at the cost of spiritual welfare.
9. Because of the progressive belief in the impossibility of ‘knowing.’
10. Because of the progressive mania for finding fault and its fondness of mockery.
11. Because of the progressive predilection to worship the little “g” (government) over the big “g” (God).
12. Because of the worship of ‘fashionable culture’ over ‘stale tradition.’
13. Because of the progressive axiom that there are no subversives, dissidents, defectors, heretics or apostates (only dutiful truth-seekers, honest questioners and intellectual doubters). In short, sincerity and honesty negate apostasy.
14. Because of the progressive insistence that secularism (paradoxically) informs their religious life.
15. Because of the progressive dictum that critique is the highest and noblest form of worship.
16. Because of the progressive denial of moral absolutes.
17. Because of allegiance to the false aphorism that knowledge equals wisdom.
18. Because of the progressive worship of the autonomous self.
19. Because of the fallacy that cultural trends represent positive “progression.”
20. Because of the progressive preference to bring God closer to man, rather than man closer to God.
21. Because of deep-seated detestation for the core doctrines of faith and obedience.
22. Because each time secular knowledge confronts spiritual knowledge, secular knowledge is declared the victor. Every. Time.
23. Because of the progressive preference to feed the mind over feeding the spirit (“Why allow the Spirit to enlarge my soul and testimony through simple scripture study, prayer and meditation when I can learn damning historical tidbits from D. Michael Quinn?”).
24. Because of the progressive compulsion to shoehorn secular ‘rights’ into church government.
25. Because of the progressive belief that one’s natural and honest desires (the “authentic self”) necessarily represent moral goodness.
1. These are generalizations. I realize not all 25 points will describe the positions of every progressive. I mean, come on, it’s a list. Many of my past (and future) posts will explore individual list items in more detail.
2. Is this to say that liberalism/progressivism has no general attributes worthy of Christ’s approbation? No. It has some. Is this to say that conservatism is free of any non-Christ-like characteristics? No, of course not. It has its own problems — but its problems are far fewer; and in general, conservatism is far more compatible with the CJCLDS.