After combing through nearly 100 applicants for the launch of the SSI Incubator, the final tallies are in. Four startups were chosen for the world’s first incubator for digital identity. (The Incubator is a joint venture between the Sovrin Foundation and investment firm Hard Yaka.)
These finalists will participate in an intensive 12-week program designed to fast-track self-sovereign (SSI) technologies, connecting each startup to leaders and mentors and offering $180,000 in investment.
- Domi (Berlin): Digital passports for landlords and tenants that would create a fairer rental market.
- MetaDigital Inc (Toronto): An Intelligent Healthcare Platform that would eliminate medical prescription and insurance claim fraud with real-time digital verification.
- Spaceman ID Inc (Chicago): Tools for companies to easily implement private, secure, and portable digital credentials.
- Xertify (Bogotá, CO): A network where people and institutions can exchange trusted information based on blockchain technology.
Greg Kidd, co-founder of Hard Yaka, co-founder and CEO of globaliD:
“SSI is a revolutionary technology giving safety, control, and autonomy over data and our digital identity. Our goal is to spot the possibilities across a wide landscape of unique use cases and disrupt the broken identity systems we see online today. If a solution can improve the customer experience and tackle real identity challenges or opportunities, we then look to supersize it. The result is a positive collision of scale and innovation. And for a technology like SSI that’s attracting more and more companies seeking to solve the identity problem, innovation speed matters.”
Heather Dahl, CEO of the Sovrin Foundation:
“We are thrilled to welcome these outstanding teams to San Francisco as the first participants in the SSI Incubator. The work these companies will undertake at SSII will have a far-reaching impact beyond the identity community. From housing to education to healthcare to overall enterprise adoption, these startups have the opportunity to replace outdated systems of digital data exchange while respecting individual data rights.”
Join us at the SSI Incubator’s kickoff event on Tuesday, September 17, 2019 in San Francisco — sponsored, in part, by Hyperledger and will be emceed by Phil Windley, Chair of the Sovrin Foundation Board of Trustees.
Hyperledger Executive Director Brian Behlendorf will moderate a discussion on: “The State of Digital Identity: Bringing Blockchain, Decentralization, and Self-Sovereign ID to the Internet.”
- Daniel Buchner, Senior Project Manager for Decentralized Identity at Microsoft
- Pelle Brændgaard, Chief Technology Officer of uPort
- Heather C. Dahl, CEO and Executive Director of the Sovrin Foundation
- Greg Kidd, Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer of globaliD