Method to my Mindness
One hundred days ago, a dear friend tagged me in another artist’s stream. Rayna Lo was going through the #100DaysofDrawing challege and my friend wondered out loud what I would create if I took this challenge. Well, the long-short is that I did it.
Creativity, to me, is a process of exploration and discovery. Creativity can be used to solve problems or find out things that were hidden. Ultimately, I believe that the most creative processes involve some rules or guidelines. Thus I set out my own guidelines to explore the #100DaysofDrawing hashtag.
Guidelines or Rules
- there is to be a drawing for every day, for 100 days.
- each drawing contains the word day and number for that day in its design starting with zero. (That’s why my last day was 99.)
- all drawings were done using Autodesk Sketchbook on my Mac using a Wacom stylus.
- I factored the day number to be able to use the symmetry tool (it could produce symmetrical reflection up to 16 times), on Prime number days, I was free to throw anything into the mix and usually did. Some of the numbers had a theme attached to them throughout the project, i.e. multiples of sevens generally included skulls.
- With rare exception, I only posted drawings on my social media-no wild commentary on life or observations of things.
Things I learned:
- My people are amazing! So much support and love.
- Patience and practice lead to higher skill
- There are infinite solutions to the problem of a blank page, the ones I find have variances from influence and time investment.
- Successful art is not the same as purchased art.
I’m going to take a week off to finish an online course, then I will deal with some administrative tasks involving wrap up of this project before I develop a new project. I am collecting them all in this portfolio online. There has been a suggestion of making them available as file downloads, some individuals have purchased prints of days they really enjoyed, also a collection as a coffee table book has been floated. I will be taking this all into consideration and hopefully putting it into action.