Presentation created for the Global Service Jam 2016
On Feb 26, 2016 armed with the principles of design thinking, and inspired by a secret theme, seven other jammers and myself boldly teamed up to brainstorm, validate, prototype, and create something special…and oh yeah, we just had 48 hours.
These days we are losing connection and concentration with each other during social events, business meetings and time with loved ones as we are often caught up with our devices.
User research suggests that:
People today have lost the art of conversation
Michael, 42 years
It would be great if you destroyed Facebook
Ben, 30 years
- People still want to use their devices to organize meetings, events
- People still want to have access to their devices in case of emergency but not use them / use them less in the presence of others
- People want to be rewarded for not using their devices
How can we help people reconnect with each other through social events and meetings and only use their devices as enabler rather than an anti-social inhibitors?
We came up with the idea to create a simple app that gets groups of consenting friends, family or colleagues off their phones and back in to the conversation.
Using the Blackout app, groups pick a time frame and ditch their phones allowing them to fine tune their ever valuable social skills, and enrich communication.
At the end of the conversation they can receive group rewards and special offers.
And to make things a little more fun, we gamified the idea with penalties for those friends that just cannot resits their social media itch.
Simple set up
Once everyone has the app the setup is quick, select friends, time frame and penalty.
Once stared, phone is put into do not disturb mode, and just the participating friends and remaining time is shown.
If one of your friends checks their phone during the blackout time everyone is alerted and the friend is “busted” and the penalty is levied.
If/when the time is successfully completed the group is notified and justly rewarded.
Prototype: play with the prototype here
- Invitations sent through Facebook or Google could automatically black out our event
- Energy Saving rewards
- App has voice recognition feature which picks up social event key words (e.g. soccer) and suggestive posts of social events for soccer in that area
- Potential for app to assist in bill splitting / payment
- Further outline and customize to target age groups
- Customize app to business and social functions
- Make connections with 3rd party apps and groups to build out rewards feature
- Expand rewards programs to market segments