Isola del Giglio
The name Giglio comes from the Greek word ‘Aegilion’ which means ‘place of the goats,’ as there used to be a lot of them on the island. Giglio belongs to the Tuscan province of Grosseto and the Commune of Giglio includes all three inhabited centres on the island as well as jurisdiction over the small island of Giannutri nearby.
It is situated west of the Argentario promontory approximately 14 km away and an hour’s ferry ride from Porto Santo Stefano.
The island has 28 kilometres of coastline and a population of around 1600. The climate is pleasant and dry in the summer and the main season usually lasts until the end of October.
Published on 500Px
Photographer: Nicola Mastrandrea
via 500px http://ift.tt/1NACkxG
Uploaded November 28, 2015 at 03:30PM