How To Navigate SXSW As A Job Seeker
South by Southwest [better known as SXSW] is quickly approaching, March 10–19 to be exact. Not only is it a great time to network and meet people from all over the world, but it’s also a great time to find that new job! Katy Stover and I teamed up & scoured the SXSW website, Eventbrite, and Facebook for all the free [meaning no official badge needed] events and information we could find to benefit all the job seekers out there! Here’s what we came up with!
The easy win: SXSW puts on a job market open to the public — all you have to do is register to get a guest pass! The job market will be held March 11 & 12 from 10am-5pm each day. Additionally, there’s a job board where people can view and apply to open roles at companies that may/may not be present at the job market.
From there, get your business cards ready for all the networking. Moo has a great deal going on — if you pre-order business cards by March 10th, you will get 15% off and free hand delivery straight to you, in-person wherever you are at SXSW. And for an extra awesome bonus, MOO has put together a limited edition gift only for conference goers which includes $350 in gifts from a few of their partners.
Finally, let’s get to the events. Here’s what we found that seemed particularly relevant for job seekers:
- Thursday, March 9, 5:30–7:30p: Austin Tech Happy Hour, Pre-SXSW Kickoff
- Friday, March 10, 9a-12p: Schwab’s Reboot Breakfast Lounge
- Friday, March 10, 4–9:30p: Team Austin: The Workspace Revolution — Panel & Party — Pre Interactive
- Friday, March 10, 5:30–7:30p: Austin Beer Tasting with Idean, Yelp, and Designers + Geeks
- Friday, March 10, 6–7p: Designer Meetup
- Friday, March 10, 11a to Sunday, March 12, 11:30p: Amazon Recruiting Events
- Saturday, March 11, 11a to Sunday, March 12, 4:30p: GA + SXSW Present: Tech Fundamentals for Everyone [obviously we had to include this on this list!]
- Saturday, March 11, 9a-12p: Schwab’s Reboot Breakfast Lounge
- Saturday, March 11, 11a-1p: Fireside Breakfast Margaritas with NOMAD
- Saturday, March 11, 11:30a-1p: Austin Women in Tech Social
- Saturday, March 11, 4–6p: Intro to the Austin Tech Startup Scene & AMA
- Sunday, March 12, 9a-1p: TechBreakfast Showcase
- Sunday, March 12, 11a-4p: Smart Cities Day
- Sunday, March 12, 8p-12:30a: Tech.Co’s Startup Night SXSW 2017
- Monday, March 13, 1–5p: Samsung — Gear 360 Hands-On Workshop
- Monday, March 13, 5–8p: Software Advice Presents SXSA
- Monday, March 13, 5p: ATX Startup Crawl
- Wednesday, March 15, 12–5p: Power to the People — Official SXSW Party with ESPN’s Chris Fowler
- Thursday, March 16, 4–6p: Intro to Austin Tech Startup Scene & AMA — VR & Gaming
There’s so many events going on around the events center and downtown in general so we encourage you to walk around and meet people! Check out the “houses” roughly located between the events center and Capital Factory — some may require passes, others do not. If possible, do your research ahead of time so you know what you’re walking into.
From there, do not forget about the follow up. Get business cards and add people on LinkedIn by sending a customized invite (reminding them how or where you met).
Ok, what did we miss? Share info below in the comments!