Christian Aid NHW Health Journalism Masterclass
Nigeria Health Watch is seeking health journalists for a short course on understanding the Community Based Health Insurance Scheme. Application deadline: March 25th, 2017
Course Date: April 10–11, 2017
To improve the capacity of health journalists to understand CBHIS and to report accurately about health-related issues
It is a focused two-day short course on writing for health journalists. This practical, case-oriented program will provide training for journalists reporting on health events and some editors. The short course will consist of pre-course reading material, baseline knowledge assessments, didactic lectures, interactive case studies, audio visual presentations and post course assessments.
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for journalists who report on health and those interested in health reportage. Participants will be competitively selected from print, radio, television and online media. All interested journalists must apply and 20 will be selected to attend the Christian Aid Nigeria Health Journalism Masterclass.
What will be learnt on the course?
The purpose of this short course is to deliver a practical, interactive course in writing health stories for journalists, particularly CBHIS. It is particularly aimed at journalists on health beats and others interested in health reportage. The course will enable practical understanding of the principles of the thought process for reporting health events for public consumption.
The key objectives are for participants to:
· To understand CBHIS and the operations of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
· Understand why well written health stories are important for yourself, your organisation and the public;
· Learn about the process and cycle of writing health stories;
· To understand how to grow a social media presence, while maintaining scientific credibility
· How to conduct thorough search on a health topic before writing;
· Appreciate the ethical and legal responsibilities of writing;
· Understand the importance of creating networks of health experts