Quick tips to help you determine if your current weight loss program is safe.
Warning signs of an unsafe weight loss program:
- The program excludes certain food groups (i.e. low carb, low fat)
- The program focuses on a single product to help you lose weight (i.e. the popular fad diet, “replace two meals per day with a particular protein shake”)
- The program promises quick results —fyi: losing 10 pounds in 2 weeks is not safe and it’s most likely water weight not true fat loss.
- The proof of the program is based solely on testimonials and before and after pictures instead of medical research.
- The program sounds too good to be true. Remember the saying, “If it sounds too good to be true, most likely it is”.
Signs of a safe weight loss program:
- The program incorporates both diet and exercise.
- The program focuses on whole, unrefined and unprocessed foods.
- The program stresses healthy living, not quick results.
- The results of the program are proven and published in peer-reviewed medical journals.
KIS — Nikki Page, RN, Lifestyle & Weight Management Specialist
Henderson, S. 2013. The science of weight loss. Retrieved from: http://www.todaysnest.com/todays-nest-1/2013/5/20/todays-fitness-the-science-of-weight-loss