Athirappilly 101: A beginner’s guide on how to have an unforgettable stay near the Athirappilly falls
Athirappilly beckons you to its fold!
For those who love to explore and relish places with waterfalls, steady streams, and stunning natural scenery, you’ve found your calling. Athirappilly falls inspire awe and amazement at the incredible strength and splendour of the natural world with the serene sounds of the streams, the spellbinding tumble of water, and the magical veil of mist that it creates below. It’s called the Niagara of India for this very reason. Click here
This scintillating waterfall is around 60 kilometers from Thrissur and is a whopping 80 ft high and 330 ft wide, making it the largest waterfall in Kerala. It enters the Vazhachal forest from the Anamudi mountains and snakes through the stunning woods to combine forces with the Chalakudy River. The glittering water falling, breaking into a million shards of shimmery spray is a sight to cherish. Many filmmakers have been drawn to this stunning splendour. It has served as the backdrop for several South and North Indian films like Guru, Dil Se, and the magnum opus Bahubali.
If you are still not sold on the idea just yet, let us paint you a picture of what awaits you. The thrill begins to build as your senses are subjected to the sights and sounds of the Athirappilly falls. As you approach the waterfall, you’ll witness the thunderous display scattering water everywhere and creating clouds of mist and fog. But it is after you make your way down the trail that the real show starts. The mesmerizing display of several water plumes as it strikes the surface is sufficient to enchant and calm your every sense. Click here
Athirappilly isn’t just a world-renowned tourism hotspot simply for its waterfalls but also for the variety of other experiences it offers. Here is a list of things to do when you find yourself in the heart of Southern India:
- Nature walks: This is an excellent location for nature lovers who enjoy trekking and mountaineering and want to explore it on foot. There are several exhilarating paths up the falls. The walkways are well-kept, and along the trip, you may spot creatures like monkeys and lovely birds. In case you’re fortunate, you may even get to see a Sambar deer or two.
- Birdwatching: This location is ideal for bird enthusiasts as well because it is home to various Hornbill species like the great Indian hornbill, Malabar pied hornbill and many others that are at risk of extinction. Besides endangered hornbills, there are several other exotic birds- Grey wagtail, blue-eared kingfisher, Osprey, etc for you to spot.
- Trio Falls Tour: The trio waterfalls, Athirappilly — Charpa — Vazhachal, are a sight for sore eyes. A little distance away from Athirappilly, the Vazhachal and Charpa falls, offer a unique type of appeal since it is much wider and flatter in comparison. The experience is altogether very different.
- Tribal Village Visit: Take delight in learning about the local customs and how they mix with Kerala’s enchanting natural surroundings by traveling along its winding and twisting roads to the countryside. You’ll witness folks working in the paddy fields or fishing while you’re there, as well as kids swimming in the shallow water. You can choose to stop by a neighbourhood ‘thattukada’ for a revitalising cup of coffee or tea and some of the local traditional snacks to get the full essence of everything the locale has to offer.
- Fishing by the River: This is the ideal chance for you to fulfil your fishing dreams. Get your fishing gear ready and enjoy the breathtaking scenery while you relax by the swiftly streaming river and catch some delectable fish.
- Guided Cycling Tour: Explore Kerala’s countryside splendour by pedaling along the winding route to its interior. During your visit, engage with the locals in friendly conversation, visit the bustling bazaars and sample some of the delicious food they have to offer, or grab some knick-knacks for your loved ones.
- Temple Tour: Many exquisite temples with intricate architecture and fascinating histories can be found all across Kerala. Guruvayur Temple and Vadakkumnathan Temple, are among the most popular tourist destinations in Thrissur and draw a large number of pilgrims. Take a spiritual trip to these two temples to offer your prayers and take in the awe-inspiring architecture.
- Adventure Tour: The Athirappilly Waterfalls and Vazhachal Forest are conveniently close to Silver Storm Water Theme Park and Snow Storm Park, providing a fantastic center for adventure amidst nature. Relive your childhood and get your daily dose of adrenaline rush by enjoying the various rides the water park has to offer. Click here
Now that we have your attention, wondering what the most ideal place to stay is to experience the full spectrum of Athirappilly’s glory? Let us put your search to an end because the place you’re looking for is Niraamaya Retreats Samroha. Perched on a cliff, overlooking the majestic Athirappilly Waterfalls, our 5-star luxury retreat is surrounded by rugged hills, rich green forests, and enthralling views which meld perfectly with the contemporary luxury and the old-world charm it exudes.
Besides, our skilled team would be happy to assist you with any of the above-mentioned experiences and tours while adding our spin on each of them, one that we are sure will make you want to revisit us often. For instance, we offer our very own cooking and pottery classes by trained personnel that’ll give you a better insight into the traditional food and artistry inherent to Kerala. You could even get your catch from the fishing trip with you and request our chef to serve it for dinner.
Isn’t it just convenient that the ideal time to visit Athirappilly falls aligns perfectly with the holiday season? It is advisable to block rooms in advance if you are planning to visit Kerala this time of the year. So head onto https://www.niraamaya.com/ and book your next getaway to relax, rejuvenate & rejoice.
Visit niraamaya.com to know more