7 reasons to start your career with sales
Career is said to be man’s first wife and the woman he marries his second ….(I am not sexually biased but can’t do much if the saying itself uses man as an example). Be it for men or for women , career is the most inseparable part of our lives and is sometimes an extension of our core personality. Of all , sales has been amongst the professions which has existed since time immemorial. In fact Adam was the first salesman while he sold his idea of love to Eve and laying the foundation for human race and the progeny .
Scientists,doctors,engineers, biologists all of them are professionals having this innate ability to sell their ideas and solutions to the exact target audience who need them at some point or the other. Nonetheless we must at least go through some of the core reasons about why one should consider starting his career through sales.
- Sales as a profession helps one live in the present- Uncertainty is the best adjective to define a sales manager’s profile and there is no other phenomenon than uncertainty that induces an individual to live in the moment . You can’t ask a five year plan from a salesman , because the most certain thing he is aware about is today.
2) Sales helps you in building social capital — Sales is a job of tact rather than knowledge or know-how. Debatedly , a vast portion of sales is driven through relationships and that’s where you discover your hidden potential of connecting with any individual of any age , profession , class race or sex. It provides you a gamut of topics to speak about ,with the help of which you can socially connect with almost anybody.
3) Audacity to accept a ‘no’ — A salesman has to go through a series of no’s before he either listens to a yes or assumes it to be a yes to execute his plans. A sales manager is paid for all the yes’s he is required to win , but in the process- it’s the infinite que of no’s that makes the salesmen’s role both challenging and interesting. “No” in itself is a very powerful word and has the capacity to break the virtues of a lot many , but if it is taken in the right spirit and attitude the same no has motivated individuals to give that extra mile for their goals and has churned out real geniuses of the world. Be it orders or an extra credit ; they have to be won after a series of punches of no’s and dejections , the aura of salesman is capable of facing it all.
4) Helps building emotional capital for an individual- Hardships is just another word for a salesman . Staying away from family , number pressures , report submissions are just part of the daily routine -rather its the wave of emotions within ; which tests the water of a salesman . A salesman sails on the waves of insecurities , be it sales prospects , delivery in charge or his own-self .A salesman is one who outlives his own insecurity while using the insecurities of the stakeholders to bring the best out of any given situation . Undoubtedly it is a job which truly tests emotional mettle of an individual , more than any other aspect.
5) Developing a habit of making the best out of every situation- A salesman would always find himself in situations where he would be running out of resources in terms of stocks or discounts or almost always “time”.Making the best out of the only given resources is kind of second nature to a salesman and in the process every sales manager learns to develop a habit of looking at the brighter side of things/situations which is in turn a great enabler in leading a successful life .
6) The ability to provide an awesome company — It’s said that the value of a person is not determined by his wealth or success but by the kind of company he shares amongst people. Salesman are the best story-tellers and are fairly tuned in providing an interesting company. Be it real life instances, travel , movie, politics they hardly run short of any topics because of the fact that they are often involved in closing the deals -either through bitter truth or sweet lies. Either ways it requires a tremendous knack of holding conversations. They are doyens in getting the toughest of the tasks executed in a manner where commands sound like music while the task is like a dance .
7) Becoming the masters of the art of lying — Well lying in itself is a controversial topic but like the holy Geeta says it is the intent which matters more than the deed. Salesman are aficionados on dealing with situations fondly known as “Dharma Sankat “ as per the Hindu mythology. A salesman artfully uses lies to artfully churn out the black from the grey for the benefit of all. Be it an argument between the local traders or a brawl with local authorities- a salesman is a key to the middle way where everyone wins
“Jisey kuch nahi ata usko sales ki naukri toh mil hi jayegi” (The one’s not capable of doing anything can at least earn a sales-job) ; thus goes the popular adage. However it is not about getting a sales-job which makes the career of a sales guy really unique , its rather like a marathon- wherin it doesn’t really matter about when do you start a race nor its about the right opportunity at the right time -almost everyone is given an opportunity to start , its rather about finishing the race which takes it all that is required to finish but gives in return the values required to lead a life strongly.