In 2014, Exact Sciences introduced Cologuard, the first non-invasive, FDA approved diagnostic (S-DNA) test to detect colon cancer. Norbella’s role, in collaboration with the creative agency, was to introduce and position Cologuard as a highly credible and accurate screening option within a landscape where the Colonoscopy is viewed as the Gold Standard.
With that in mind, we asked ourselves three key questions:
- How can Exact Sciences evolve the long-standing standard of care, while dramatically increasing the amount of adults 50+ who screen for colon cancer regularly?
- How do we reach HCPs (Health Care Providers) in highly credible environments, creating both awareness and providing clinical information to evaluate, so that they consider this option for their patients?
- How do we reach and educate adults 50+ to drive them to their physician to specifically ask for Cologuard?
As the brand story unfolded we developed a test and scaled our approach for both patients and HCPs.
Connecting and educating the Physicians
After the launch period, we targeted early adopters who demonstrated strong adoption and prescription writing, in addition key payer and influencer geographies.
Norbella developed a unique media plan, utilizing a blend of highly targeted and credible media tactics, and targeting several physician specialty areas:
- Highly-targeted Clinical search terms, with clear distinctions between HCP and consumer terms
- Professional medical journals (ex. New England Journal of Medicine) delivering messaging in highly credible and relevant content
- In-office exam rooms and waiting rooms, testing any measurable lift of participating offices
- Professional sites/platforms (e.g. Medscape, Doximity, Epocrates), incorporating brand message into online resource areas
- Professional conferences
Connecting and educating the Patients
As the brand grew in awareness and adoption, our education story evolved across multiple platforms and formats. We ultimately utilized a robust blend of SEM, Paid Social, Digital video, banners, network television, NPR, custom-content programs, and in-office placements.
- Initially developing a local television testing matrix to understand the impact of television on the business within test markets
- Based on local results, scaled to national syndication and network Cable focusing on high composition of the target to limit waste and be in content appropriate areas
- Continual testing and optimization of digital tactics, blend of health-related sites, as well as general interest
- Partnered with targeted organizations, such as AARP
- Created a customized dashboard utilizing disparate data sources allowing us to identify continual insights and optimizations across all of our tactics and channels
Results to Date
- 2018 closed with achieving 934,000 tests completed, nearly 2MM total since launch
- Projected 2018 annual revenue of $455MM; 71% growth YOY
- 125,000 total HCP prescribers
- Facebook CTR: 2.14%, 181% above the industry benchmark
- Display CTR: 0.12%, 33% over benchmark
- SEM CTR: 2.66%, 137% over benchmark
- Adoption continues to be strong; covered by Medicare and over 85% of patients have no out-of-pocket