IVF treatment — Process, Success Rates and Cost
IVF or in-vitro fertilisation is a technique used to enable patients with infertility to get pregnant. IVF treatment is a set of procedures that must be carried out only by expert and skilled professionals at every stage. The treatment, if successful, may induce what is called an IVF pregnancy.
Here is a step by step explanation of the process:
1. Comprehensive evaluation of both partners: This evaluation includes an infertility assessment, along with assessment of blood reports, physical fitness, hormonal balance and even ovarian reserve to check for the presence of fertility issues.
2. Formulation of treatment strategy: Different couples require different approaches to IVF treatment and a suitable strategy is decided upon accordingly. The procedure, prognosis, costs, risks and benefits are then explained to the couple, and counselling support is offered.
3. Stimulation: Hormonal injections to stimulate ovulation are given in some cases for egg production .
4. Ultrasound monitoring: A vaginal ultrasound is done to check the response of the ovaries to the stimulation.
5. Collection of eggs and sperm : Eggs are removed from the ovaries under general anaesthesia and a fresh semen sample is usually collected on the same day.
6. Fertilisation: In a dust-free, state-of-the-art lab, the man’s sperm is injected into the egg by skilled embryologists in the case of ICSI. In the case of a simple IVF, the egg is put into a suspension of sperm in a dish and fertilisation then occurs naturally.
7. Embryo Transfer: The best embryos are selected and transferred on the 3rd or 5th day after the eggs are collected. A maximum of 2 embryos should be transferred. Other good quality embryos can be frozen on request for future cycles if necessary. This would prevent all of the above steps from having to be repeated in case another IVF cycle needs to be done.
8. Pregnancy test: 15 days later, a pregnancy test (called the beta-HCG test) is done to check if gestation has been achieved. If the beta-HCG test is positive, then pregnancy has been achieved. If it is negative, further treatment depends on whether embryos have been frozen or not.
IVF Success Rates
Success rates of IVF treatments depend upon many factors, but the average is 35%. Among all IVF clinics in India, Nova IVI Fertility has been able to achieve an IVF success rate of 44% due to its advanced science, expert team of doctors and embryologists and an exclusive focus on fertility treatments.
IVF Treatments Cost
Since IVF treatments are tailored to the specific requirements of individual couples, it is difficult to provide an estimate of the cost. However, patients would do well to be aware of the various steps involved in the treatment and how they add up to the final price. Medications, tests, lab work, counselling and consultations add to the cost of treatment and patients need to be informed of this beforehand.
CLICK HERE for more details