As Sebastian has very nicely detailed how to get to HTTPS with your custom domain with Cloudflare. You’ll notice that there are unnecessary pain that can be removed:
- Why do you have to give up your nameserver access to Cloudflare?
- Why not own your own SSL cert, via LetsEncrypt?
I’ve spoken to Sebastian, and we both agree that there must be a better way to do this. And indeed there is.
Kloudsec for Github Pages (https://kloudsec.com/github-pages) adds a CDN and a LetsEncrypt cert for your custom domain automatically in 3 steps.
- Register Kloudsec account
- Add CNAME file to your repository (if you have not already done so)
- Point your domain to our CDN’s IP address.
See https://blog.kloudsec.com/kloudsec-for-github-pages/ for more info!