Yogasutras for menstrual health improvement-’Aasana one’
The word Yoga is derived from the Sanskrit root “yuj” meaning to bind, join, attach and yoke, to direct and concentrate one’s attention on, to use and apply.
Special provision: Avoid ‘aasanas’ during the menstrual period except few ‘aasanas’ which we will discuss briefly in these articles.
The right method of doing ‘aasanas’ brings lightness and an exhilarating feeling in the body as well as in the mind and a feeling of alignment with body, mind and space.
‘Ut’ is a particle indicating deliberation, intensity. The verb ‘tan’ means to stretch, extend, lengthen out.In this aasana, the spine is given a deliberate and an intense stretch.
- Stand erect with the feet together, the heals and big toes touching each other.Rest the heads of metatarsals on the floor and stretch all the toes flat on the floor.
- Tighten the knees and pull the knee-caps up, contrast the hips and pull up the muscles at the back of the thighs.
- Keep the stomach in, chest forward, spine stretched up and the neck straight.
- Do not bear the weight of the body either on the heels or the toes, but distribute it evenly on them both.(pic. 1).
- Exhale, bend forward and place the fingers on the floor. Then place the palms on the floor by the side of the feet, behind the heels. Do not bend the legs at the knees. (pic. 2).
- Try to hold the head up and stretch the spine. Move the hips a little forward towards the head so as to bring the legs perpendicular to the floor.
- Remain in this position and take two deep breaths.
- Exhale, move the trunk closer to legs and rest the head on the knees. (pic. 3).
- Do not slacken the grip at the knees, but pull the knee-caps well up. Hold this position for a minute with deep and even breathing.
- Inhale and raise the head from the knees, but without lifting the palms from the floor.(pic. 2)
- After two breaths, take a deep inhalation, lift the hands from the floor and come back to Taadaasana (pic. 1) ( Follow step 1–4 ).
- This aasana cures stomach pains and tone the liver, the spleen and the kidneys.
- Relieves stomach pain during menstrual periods.
- The heart beats slow down and the spinal nerves rejuvenated.
- Any depression felt in the mind is removed if one hold the pose for 2 minutes or more.
- The posture is a boon to people who get exited quickly, as it soothes the brain cells.
- One feels calm and cool, the eyes start to glow and the mind feels at peace.
credits: Mr. B K S IYENGAR