- The first time I heard her sing, it was in an unknown language that eluded my being but I had learned not to be afraid of my ignorance anymore.
- She called the song ‘Timbuktu Fasso’.
- I like to think that it is a song about loss and longing.
- Her name is Fatoumata Diawara.
- I close my eyes and let this song flow through me, I let it understand me.
- I did not try to understand it. Grief does not have a mother tongue.
- There are many reasons to offer a body back to God, this is not one of them.
- I had finally met salvation and it was not a dying man on a cross.