7 Stories to read this weekend (January 9)
And just like that, the new year is nine days old. I guess, when you are having fun, you don’t notice how quickly time flies. It was fun to watch CES from afar. I think of it as a “consensus electronics show” and very few products showcased there have a real long term impact on the marketplace. Brian Chen’s piece is a pretty good wrap of what was important, so find time to read that and then turn you attention to these 7 recommendations:
- How social media changed fashion consumption: An essay on the intertwined relationship between social media, fashion and consumer society. http://bit.ly/1PkvY0l [Related: Instagram and #fashion]
- A conversation with (late) designer Richard Sapper: Richard Sapper German industrial designer died this week at the age of 83. His influence on modern design made him a design icon. Here is a long conversation with the man from the archives of the Domus magazine. http://bit.ly/1Zbyz7v
- The deep space of digital reading: So you read differently online or in print? Good question, and as the article points out it doesn’t matter, as long as you read, but explains why that is the case. http://bit.ly/1SG7ZhM
- Rebel with a cause: Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard on the passing of his lifelong friend Doug Tompkins, founder of Northface. Such close friendships are a gift from the heavens. http://mjm.ag/1ZiRJZc
- Bill Gates: The billionaire book critic: I loved this piece, mostly because it shows that people don’t want professional critics to tell them what to do. http://nyti.ms/1kVBUom
- Why an Uber for healthcare is doomed to fail: A doctor who tried to do this explains. Great read. http://bit.ly/1RseRjC
- Rick Owens: Surface Magazine has a conversation with one of the more interesting and provocative American designers these days. http://bit.ly/1ZTNaRX
It was relatively quiet on my blog. Here are a handful of posts that you might like.
If you like my recommendations, you should sign up for the email list. I share articles worth reading on my Om Reads blog as well, so come by and visit often.