Behold the Paragon of Democracy
In December, 2014 the U.S. Senate made around 10% of a report (Senate Intelligence Committee report on CIA torture) public about the CIA’s use of enhanced interrogation techniques during the George W. Bush Presidency.
What are the black sites? they were prisons secretively operated by the CIA around the world, they were used for intensive interrogation, and by intensive interrogation i mean torture. These sites were founded and used by the U.S. government in its “War on Terror” to detain alleged unlawful enemy combatants.
Some Forms of interrogation
- Force Feeding prisoners orally and anally
- At least one prisoner was “diagnosed with chronic hemorrhoids, an anal fissure and symptomatic rectal prolapse,” symptoms normally associated with a violent rape.
- Threats to rape and murder were made against the children or family members of prisoners.
- In November 2002 the CIA killed at least one prisoner during interrogation by hypothermia.
- One detainee was subjected to “ice water baths” and 66 hours of standing sleep deprivation.
Similarities to the Nazi Gestapo interrogation
The phrase “Verschärfte Vernehmung”, German for “sharpened questioning”, was to describe the method of afflicting detainees to sleep deprivation, suspension in stress positions, and deliberate exhaustion among other techniques.
“it is inhuman and barbaric, it is a crime and should be punished” , these are the words i wished any official would have said, instead US president Obama opted to say other words, “These harsh methods were not only inconsistent with our values as nation, they did not serve our broader counter-terrorism efforts or our national security interests. Moreover, these techniques did significant damage to America’s standing in the world and made it harder to pursue our interests with allies and partners. That is why I will continue to use my authority as president to make sure we never resort to those methods again.”
A promise not to resort to torture in the future is simply not a sufficient answer, Crimes should be punished, and to me torture is the foulest of crimes. They should be punished from highest executive power at the time to the lowest official responsible
Now this is the Paragon of Democracy we are talking about, to me it does not differ much from an autocratic regime, on the contrary, some autocratic regimes don't sink that low.