LazyHangryCook Approved Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Comforting, nutritious, inexpensive, with a simple preparation. What more could you ask for?
- 1 container of low sodium vegetable OR chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of green chilis and tomatoes *ahem* Rotel
- Taco seasoning
- Black Beans***
- Sliced avocado
- Nonfat, plain Greek yogurt (can use sour cream, but this easy upgrade gives you more protein bang for your calorie buck
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Your favorite hot sauce. I love using both Tapatio and a little bit of a chipotle hot sauce
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Grab your crockpot. Rejoice!!
- Add chicken breast into crockpot
- Season chicken breast with your favorite taco seasonings… I use Old El Paso or low-sodium Ortega.
- Cover chicken with corn and green chili/tomato combo
- Dice up alllllll the peppers. I love using bell peppers to make a nice filling base and using a couple more spicy peppers to give it some heat. Once diced, add to crockpot
- Make it rain more taco seasoning on the veggies. Make your own seasoning or buy low sodium if you really, really like to make it rain. 😉
- Add broth to crockpot. I pour mine on the sides of the chicken so it doesn’t knock the veggies off the chicken breast
- Set on low for 6.5–7 hours or high for 3.5–4 hours. If you’re around the house, feel free to give it a stir every now and then. If you’re at work or whatever, it’s fine to just sit there!
- Remove chicken and pull apart. It takes no time at all! It’s usually falling apart when I take it out.
- Add chicken back to crockpot and prep the garnishes
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Take a few soft shell flour tortillas and slice them into thin, equal strips
- Toss or spritz with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper
- Bake in the oven for approximately 8 minutes or until golden brown and crisp
- You can always just add tortilla chips too if making your own strips seems daunting!
- Fill up a bowl. I top mine with avocado slices, tortilla strips, a heaping couple spoons of NF Greek yogurt, add a little of my favorite hot sauce(s), and a ton of chopped cilantro.
- Enjoy! Makes for great leftovers, potluck/carry-in item, an inexpensive meal to share with family, etc.
MEAL PREPPERS WELCOME: Sometimes when I make this I fill a large food storage container or all the veggies chopped up and ready to go so in the morning all I have I do is add chicken and dump the veggie container and broth into my crockpot so I can run out the door.
*** = ingredient I would add if my husband liked black beans!
One of the best thing about this soup is you can personalize to your house. Love beans but hate corn? Swap it! Don’t know what the heck an Serrano pepper is? Grab a jalapeño. This is one of the first recipes I made when I started eating bell peppers and other veggies. I was such a picky eater and this really helped me make strides in my mission to eat more vegetables!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do! Follow me on IG @ommostthere for more fun stuff like this. :)